Baserow - Airtable Alternative
"Create your own database without technical experience. Our user friendly no-code tool gives you the powers of a developer without leaving your browser"
They have a road map through Nov on their site too: https://baserow.io/
This was also mentioned in: https://forum.cloudron.io/topic/2517/seatable-speadsheet-meets-database
Looks very promising +1
@plusone-nick certainly when they get through their 2020 roadmap. Basically looks like what most people want to use GSheets for, without the fluff.
@marcusquinn Yeah at least the end of Aug when they implement the REST api.
Besides regular GSheets stuff most of the value is in the API for no/low-code dev imo
@plusone-nick For no/low-code RAD, checkout Directus since it works on any MySQL DB, has GraphQL, all the standard User, Roles & Perms stuff, and ultimately the underlying DB can be used in any way directly or via API with their GraphQL
It's the best of the bunch for that purpose from my testing at least. I admit it doesn't do multi-user editing of the same thing at the same time al la GSheets - but I've never developed a schema live with other devs that way TBH.
Hopefully coming to a Cloudron near you soon too:
@marcusquinn Yeah I am looking forward to Directus, ive dabbled with it and have up-voted the thread. Always good to have a second one in mind & encourage "competition" though lol
Following closely. I've offered to package this and seatable as soon as they get ready!
@doodlemania2 Not all heroes wear capes +1
Been playing with Directus this weekend. It looks quite polished. The main challenge I see right now would be using it against a non-provided DB, which may not be an issue, but something to think about.
Will keep at it!
@doodlemania2 I think the way to do it would be take an default Directus instance. Export SQL from another App and Import to the Directus DB as I don't think other Cloudron DBs are available outside of their container?
Then as you navigate, it recognises and work with whatever tables there are in the DB. The Directus User, Permissions, Audit Trail tables remain separate.
yusf last edited by
I took the Baserow demo for a spin. It's very basic as of today.
@yusf worth further packaging as is or hold off until their road-map is complete and or 1.0?
yusf last edited by yusf
@plusone-nick I don’t see the point of packaging it in the current state, no. Let’s see which one of Baserow, Seatable or other wins the feature race.
Seatable is very unstable atm. Hoping directus is better.
yusf last edited by
@doodlemania2 I took Directus for a spin. It's a completely different type of tool, it has very little in common with what Airtable/Notion/Baserow/Seatable does.
@yusf yeah, it's more a headless crm as opposed to a shiny simple grid, but they sort of fall into the same category. Definitely still need an airtable alternative!
End of the Year Update: https://baserow.io/blog/december-release-of-baserow
All the changes of Baserow version 0.7.0 listed.
- Increased the number size that be used within a number field (by Keith).
- Fixed bug where the row state is never matching if the filter type was set to OR in combination with only one filter.
- Fixed the keyboard navigation of the dropdown items when a search query was provided.
- Added filtering by GET parameter support to the rows listing endpoint.
- Fixed drifting context menu when you scroll or resize the window.
- Create and update timestamps are now stored when the groups, applications, tables, views, fields and rows are created or modified.
- It's now possible to change a file name.
- Added the possibility to insert a new row above or below an existing row.
- Made it possible to include or exclude specific fields when listing rows via the API.
- Implemented the single select field.
Real time collaboration Coming In Jan!