Co-founder of Cloudron.io
Best posts made by girish
What's coming in 5.1
First off, I hope all you guys are staying safe in these tough times! Our team is split in Santa Clara and Berlin and we are doing well!
5.1 will be a quick release. There are a bunch of security related fixes but the main feature is the integration of turn addon/service into the platform. This will help us get the video conference apps in asap since it's the need of the hour.
What's coming in 6.0
We are continuing to work on getting many more of the apps published, see the WIP tag. Thanks to the community for really helping us out here!
CHANGE IN PLANS: As mentioned in the 5.4 post, we decided to release some of the features listed here in an intermediary release. I have marked the features below as such.
UPDATE 2: There is now a 5.5
UPDATE 3: There is now a 5.6
UPDATE 4: 6.0
6.0 will be a feature rich release:
- Focal support
- Mailbox sharing - we tried IMAP based mailbox sharing but this doesn't work well for the apps we have. We will instead make it such that a single mailbox can have multiple owners.
- Optimize WP and Nextcloud installations. This is not directly related to box code but we want to speeden things up and optimize the configs since we have a large number of installs with these 2 apps. @MooCloud_Matt has given us a lot of ideas to work with here.
- Unified dashboard for multiple cloudron setups - This will provide a unified auth across cloudron setups plus a single dashboard to control multiple cloudrons. Details are still being worked on and I will post it once I have more info.
- Fix access control for service provider setups - There's a few small issues. Service providers wants admin flag per app, better control of SFTP user management and also to unify PHPMyAdmin across apps. We will see what we can do.
- Mail - Full text search via IMAP (solr integration)
- (5.4) Dark mode for dashboard
- (5.4) File manager UI to edit the files inside apps. For the initial version, one can only view and edit the files under
/app/data(i.e one cannot view the files in the read-only parts of the file system. this is because of some technical reasons)
- (5.5) Backup upload/download speed - Currently, backups can be quite slow but we have some ideas to speed it up
- (5.4) Allow admin to lock email and display name globally. This essentially makes the LDAP directory non-editable by normal users.
- (5.5) Allow backup and update time to be set. Currently, this is all hard coded and it's causing problems for people working in the night
- (5.6) Mail: Configurable mail server settings - whitelist/blacklist, max message size, tls configuration. In the next release after 6.0, we will make spam settings configurable.
For the coming weeks, we are going to focus on getting some new apps packaged. The list is:
- Bitwarden - @Felix and @iamthefij have done much of the heavy lifting, we just have to get it across the line.
- OpenVPN - We will add an admin interface that let's the admins configure some popular vpn settings.
- BigBlueButton or Jitsi (we will evaluate which works well for conferencing. We have used both and they both work well but BBB might win). If you have any thoughts here, please leave a comment.
- Development apps - basically provide a git push workflow for hosting custom nodejs/php apps (and make it work so that they can be mixed with various caches and databases).
If we should prioritize something else, please let us know! But the above should keep us occupied this month.
Cloudron 5 released
What we initially planned as Cloudron 4.5 is now Cloudron 5. We decided to bump the major version since it got a lot of changes to justify the bump.
New installations will already get Cloudron 5. Existing installations will get an update in a week or two. We roll out updates conservatively as always, if you want it immediately, please just send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make it available.
I am preparing the blog post which will have the screenshots for the features.
Add user roles - owner, admin, user manager and user
Show backup disk usage in graphs
Mail server event log and mailbox usage information
Spam auto-learning - the spam solution is now per mailbox. The mail server will now periodically auto learn spam and ham from the mailbox with no user intervention.
CPU resource allocation - We have implemented CPU Shared
Whitelabel the footer/404
App specific passwords
Import backups UI - this lets you easily move apps across Cloudrons
Display timestamps in browser timezone in the UI
linode: add object storage backend
Enhancements in the built-in LDAP to better support SOGo (more on this in a separate post).
There's a lot of other bug fixes as well. You can read through the commits for that
Apps category in this forum
I have added a new category called Apps - https://forum.cloudron.io/category/9/apps . I am slowly adding all the apps we have into it as subcategories. It seems this might work better than tags (people are mistyping tags) and also provides a better direction/place for people to post.
Ideally, we keep the current Support category to Cloudron platform related issues. I am moving existing Apps related posts this new category.
Finally, we will start posting app updates in these new categories. Basically, https://cloudron.io/appstatus.html with a changelog. But since now apps are a separate category we can post it a bit more freely without being concerned about polluting the main support category.
What's coming in 5.4
Small change in plans for the Cloudron releases. Previously, we had announced that next release will be Cloudron 6. It turns out some of the features are in good shape already and we just want to get it out instead of waiting for everything to get done.
So, there will be a 5.4 release, hopefully later this week, with the following features:
- Dark mode for dashboard
- File manager UI to edit the files inside apps. For the initial version, one can only view and edit the files under /app/data (i.e one cannot view the files in the read-only parts of the file system. this is because of some technical reasons)
- Allow admin to lock email and display name globally. This essentially makes the LDAP directory non-editable by normal users.
- Mandatory 2FA - this is new feature that wasn't announced as part of 5.4! This will require users to setup 2FA before accessing the dashboard.
- We are moving nginx to latest upstream packages instead of ubuntu ones since they are lagging behind a lot.
- Backblaze b2 provider - also new
RE: Who is building/ running a business on top of Cloudron? What's your model? :)
@jdaviescoates For pricing, as mentioned, we just offer discounted pricing on a case by case basis. Given we are a small company ourselves, we don't want Cloudron pricing to be a blocker for another business relying on us. We have a dozen or so re-sellers and they are generally IT admins, sysadmins who host for co ops, non-profits and schools.
As for Cloudron the company itself, we are profitable and pay ourselves a salary, and I can say we are not going away anytime soon. We are completely bootstrapped and haven't tried to ever raise money nor do we plan to. Future wise, one thing we really want to happen it is to grow to a size where we can start supporting upstream opensource apps - either by contributing with people or funding them.
RE: Writing automated tests for packages
I recorded a quick video showing host the tests run. The browser on the left is my Firefox that just shows the Cloudron dashboard. The browser that appears on the right is Chrome and it is where the automated testing happens.
EDIT: OK, this is funny. @nebulon was wondering why I had some dark music in the video. I thought I had recorded a silent video and did not even know there was some background music Investigating, I found out that my youtube at some point has started auto-playing "3 HOURS Most EPIC POWERFUL BATTLE MUSIC"! and OBS was happily recording that. Since, I don't have a headset connected to this setup, I had no idea. Funnily, when I uploaded this video, it immediately told me there is a "copyright claim" and I thought "yeah, right". Now I know why.
This is a selfhosted calendly. https://github.com/FredericCasazza/easyappointments-ldap_user_provider has some LDAP integration code.
Latest posts made by girish
RE: Lost all my files on nextcloud, need to better understand backups
@malvim Yes, it should be able to handle up to 100GB easily. I have even seen it being used for ~200GB reliably.
RE: Is it possible to configure the Apache Logs in Wordpress (Developer)?
Currently, you cannot change this, no. You have to use the LAMP app if you want to change the apache configs. In the LAMP app, there is an app.conf which gives you control over logging.
RE: Snipe-IT - Package Updates
- Update Snipe-IT to 5.0.4
- Full changelog
- Added attempted logins admin screen
- Added better support for NFC/RFID/Barcode scanners in select boxes
- Added ability to trigger password reset emails for users
- Added department and manager to user import
- Added php version check to upgrade.php
- Added check for minimum PHP version in setup
- Added #5957 - Flysystem support #6262 which allows you to use S3 or Rackspace to host your file uploads
- Added console command to move local files to S3 (or other remote host) for Flysystem support
- Added better asset acceptance flow (thanks, @uberbrady and @tilldeeke!)
- Added console command to send inventory reports to users
RE: Why do we have to push an image to a registry?
I probably broke something with that latest commit you pointed out, I will check it.
RE: Unable to install plugins
@ChristopherMag This should be fixed now with the latest package. I found that we have to set GF_PLUGIN_DIR env var or pass --pluginDir separately for the CLI tool. The server reads configs from custom.ini but the CLI does not (there's probably some good reason for this discrepancy).