Co-founder of Cloudron.io
Best posts made by girish
OpenSlides - digital motion and assembly system
OpenSlides is the all-in-one solution for running your plenary meetings and conferences. Show the current presentation on the main screen, while you show the agenda, motions, list of speakers on others. Working on elections and documents in parallel with all participants. Web-based and always up-to-date.
What's coming in Cloudron 8.0
(We split the features into two release 6.2, 6.3 and 7.0, 8.0 they are tagged appropriately below)
Features planned for 8.0:
- (8.0) Multihost support. i.e you can have many servers and have a single dashboard to manage users, apps and domains - https://git.cloudron.io/cloudron/box/-/issues/142
- (8.0) Implement LDAP+2FA across apps - See https://git.cloudron.io/cloudron/box/-/issues/705
These features are already implemented:
- (6.2) Move apps to new base image v3 - See https://forum.cloudron.io/topic/4366/docker-base-image-3-0
- (6.2) Database upgrades - MySQL 8, Postgres 12, Redis 5, Mongo DB 4.2.
- (6.2) Update node to 14.15.4
- (6.2) Update docker to 20.10.3
Add service account type . This will add a way to create a "service" or bot user that can be used for automation but doesn't appear in LDAP directory queries.Decided against this because of lack of use cases.
- (6.2) Make it possible to restore without updating DNS. This is useful if you want to test out cloudron backups.
- (6.2) Add a way to manage apps <-> groups better. Currently, it's hard to get a grip on what apps a user/group has access to easily (maybe add filters as well).
FTP access to volumesThis is complicated, maybe some other release.
- (6.2) TLS addon (for DoT in AdguardHome)
Update: 6.2 is out. We will work on 6.3 - https://forum.cloudron.io/topic/4723/what-s-coming-in-cloudron-6-3 . It's a required first step for multi-host.
What's coming in 6.0
We are continuing to work on getting many more of the apps published, see the WIP tag. Thanks to the community for really helping us out here!
CHANGE IN PLANS: As mentioned in the 5.4 post, we decided to release some of the features listed here in an intermediary release. I have marked the features below as such.
UPDATE 2: There is now a 5.5
UPDATE 3: There is now a 5.6
UPDATE 4: 6.0
6.0 will be a feature rich release:
- Focal support
- Mailbox sharing - we tried IMAP based mailbox sharing but this doesn't work well for the apps we have. We will instead make it such that a single mailbox can have multiple owners.
- Optimize WP and Nextcloud installations. This is not directly related to box code but we want to speeden things up and optimize the configs since we have a large number of installs with these 2 apps. @MooCloud_Matt has given us a lot of ideas to work with here.
- Unified dashboard for multiple cloudron setups - This will provide a unified auth across cloudron setups plus a single dashboard to control multiple cloudrons. Details are still being worked on and I will post it once I have more info.
- Fix access control for service provider setups - There's a few small issues. Service providers wants admin flag per app, better control of SFTP user management and also to unify PHPMyAdmin across apps. We will see what we can do.
- Mail - Full text search via IMAP (solr integration)
- (5.4) Dark mode for dashboard
- (5.4) File manager UI to edit the files inside apps. For the initial version, one can only view and edit the files under
/app/data(i.e one cannot view the files in the read-only parts of the file system. this is because of some technical reasons)
- (5.5) Backup upload/download speed - Currently, backups can be quite slow but we have some ideas to speed it up
- (5.4) Allow admin to lock email and display name globally. This essentially makes the LDAP directory non-editable by normal users.
- (5.5) Allow backup and update time to be set. Currently, this is all hard coded and it's causing problems for people working in the night
- (5.6) Mail: Configurable mail server settings - whitelist/blacklist, max message size, tls configuration. In the next release after 6.0, we will make spam settings configurable.
What's coming in 7.0 (was 6.4)
This will mostly have email related improvements. There's also a few last mail related migrations to do for multi-host in Cloudron 8 (everything else is migrated, yay).
- Better email monitoring/visibility for admins. @d19dotca raised many important posts and there's also existing ones. We have to read the posts in more detail and discuss internally before we give more details on what we plan to do here.
- Add easier way to setup mailbox redirects
- Add way to setup sieve rules for mailboxes from the dashboard itself. One way we are thinking of doing this is to simply expose mail data via the file manager. Just like how app data is also exposed via file manager. Just to make it easier to use, we will probably add "download"/"restore" action in the mailbox view to add on top of this.
- Backup mail data separately (instead of as part of box code). This will allow restoring and backing up mail stuff separately just like it's an app.
- Add a way to run cronjobs (per app?)
- Operator role for specific app. This new role will allow assigning a user as "operator" for some apps and that user can then view logs, restart app, increase memory limit etc but without being a cloudron admin as such.
- Make it easy to install non-appstore apps.
EDIT: Since we stop supporting Ubuntu 16 from this release, we decided to call this Cloudron 7.0 and not 6.4.
What's coming in 5.1
First off, I hope all you guys are staying safe in these tough times! Our team is split in Santa Clara and Berlin and we are doing well!
5.1 will be a quick release. There are a bunch of security related fixes but the main feature is the integration of turn addon/service into the platform. This will help us get the video conference apps in asap since it's the need of the hour.
What's coming in Cloudron 7.1
We are going to spend pretty much rest of the year in packaging new apps. We started on this already - Directus 9, Chatwoot, Redash 10, Baserow are some of the apps we published just last couple of weeks.
For 7.1, we hope to implement:
- Mail manager role
Password reveal for password fields(this already shipped as part of 7.0.4).
- Multi-domain support for apps like minio, mailtrain v2
- Whatever jitsi needs
- Option to expose LDAP server publicly
- Add LDAP option to expose groups.
- Import/export of users and mailboxes with csv/json
- Add a per-app mail from validation flag (currently, it's per domain).
- IPv6 support
Translators hall of fame
Now that we have a bunch of translations, would be good to notify the translators when we make a new release.
I created a @translator group on this forum. You should get a badge on this forum as well
I tried my best to guess here, but haven't managed to map all the ids from weblate to this forum ids. I will update this list as I get in touch with them.
Language Translator Chinese (simplified) @fengchang Dutch @imc67 French @Benoit German @luckow Italian @p44 Japanese @hiyukoim Polish @BartoszKaszewczuk Russian @WiseMetalhead Sinhala Spanish @mdreira
Latest posts made by girish
RE: Wordpress www.mydomain.com redirects to mydomain.com
@hav81 thanks for sending across the info. I think in your case what is happening is the reverse of what you said.
- If I visit
www.domain.com, it is still on
- If I visit
domain.com, it redirects to
I suspect the source of your confusion is Google Chrome URL bar. Google chrome drops the
wwwwhen it displays the location Please see https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/google-chrome-hides-www-and-https-in-the-address-bar-again/ . If you click on the URL, you will see that it is
Here is your site, after I visited
I then click the URL bar, I see the www and https:
The behavior is better in Firefox.
- If I visit
RE: domain alias (not redirect)
@mdreira WP dev app supports multi site. have you checked if your setup is supported by WP multisite - https://docs.cloudron.io/apps/wordpress-developer/#multisite ? In general, having domain aliases only works if the app itself can support it. For example, all the links inside the page etc will still be wrong if we do some simple nginx level alias setup.
RE: domain alias (not redirect)
@mdreira which app do you need this for ? We already have this in Kutt - https://docs.cloudron.io/apps/kutt/#custom-domains
RE: Exit to the community?
This reminded me of the KDE-Qt agreement (I was a Qt engineer in my previous life). https://kde.org/community/whatiskde/Software_License_Agreement_2015_Text.pdf I think is the agreement . But essentially if Qt company would stop developing Qt actively, the code then gets opensourced with a more permissive license. Without going into much detail, there are always ways around these "promises". I haven't been actively following Qt now but I think they made Qt LTS releases which are commercial only.
RE: Exit to the community?
That's quite interesting, I have to read up more to understand what all this entails. Is this a legal document or some promise put up on our website?
Speaking for the moment, we have no plans to sell or even take funding for that matter. We have also been self sustaining for many years now.
RE: Configuring Service Desk
@doodlemania2 The latest package supports incoming email. Service desk also works after that - https://docs.cloudron.io/apps/gitlab/#incoming-email