Cloudron makes it easy to run web apps like WordPress, Nextcloud, GitLab on your server. Find out more or install now.

SOLVED Mastodon Terminal not starting

• Hi, i just installed Mastodon successfully. After i created an user on the running server i tried to add the user the admin functions through the Terminal.

The Terminal says: 'Connecting...' and 'If you resize the Window press cntrl+D....'.

After that the screen switches to full black terminal. I have also tried recovery mode but nothing different. I also had a look in the logs but i found nothing..

Thanks ahead for your help 🙂

• Staff

@smilebasti Usually, it will keep saying 'Connecting...' only when the app is not running. Maybe the app was just starting up? Does it say 'Running' in the apps view?

• @girish Hi thanks for the fast reply.

Yes the App in running mode.
    It is saying 'connecting...' only for a second or two with the screen size and then is all going black (terminal)

• Staff

@smilebasti Do you see this with all apps or just mastodon?

• @girish This is also with Nextcloud (all other)

• Staff

@smilebasti Could be one of two reasons:

1. docker is not working for whatever reason. Can you check if you can do something like docker exec -ti mysql /bin/bash on the server ? Does it give you a shell? If not, this is a docker issue which we can debug further based on the error message.

2. Maybe some browser issue. But this seems a bit unlikely. Can you try another browser just in case some extension is causing some problem?

• @girish Ok the 2. thing is also not working.

1. your command worked fine.
      Anmerkung 2020-04-06 214445.png
  • Staff

Can you tail -f /home/yellowtent/platformdata/logs/box.log and see if there is some crash/error when you open the terminal view? Any errors in the browser console?

• Thats the Error i get when i am starting the terminal

<I deleted the image because it showed the domain name - girish>

• This is the chrome console error

90ffabd6-0d6e-4032-8fd0-95b09922df10-image.png
    website erased

• Staff

@smilebasti Indeed, there is a crash in cloudron in quite a strange place. That function should always be defined. Can you send us a mail to support@cloudron.io after enabling ssh access (Support -> enable remote support)?

• Staff

OK, we found that the issue was related to having a reverse proxy in front of Cloudron. This reverse proxy was not configured properly to forward web sockets.

For nginx, we need something like this:

map $http_upgrade $connection_upgrade {
        default upgrade;
        '' close;
    }

server {

proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
        proxy_set_header Connection $connection_upgrade;

}

For apache, we need something like this:

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond ${HTTP:Upgrade} websocket [NC]