A warm and hearty hello to the developers, users, and support-personnel at the Cloudron.io organization!
I am excited to get onboard with using the powerful tools which the Cloudron system provides for sysadmins, and happy to see what I can do with it. I have already gotten an instance of the software successfully up and running on a server, which is simply the free version. I am hoping to perform an altogether separate installation onto a more powerful server, and then migrate my data to the newer machine. Additionally, I will hopefully be upgrading to the paid version which provides the additional functionality. The first server upon which I was able to set up and run a test-drive of the administrator's software was running Ubuntu 20.04 within a DigitalOcean VPS.
The problem that I am now encountering, is one where I am trying to get Cloudron installed onto a COMPELTELY fresh and untouched version of Ubuntu 22.04. I have tried several times to run the installer but it still throws back the error Failed to install cloudron. See /var/log/cloudron-setup.log for details - despite multiple attempts with slight variances in the settings.
As far as the very slight changes which I've implemented: I have already tried to run # sudo apt update - as well as the more thorough # sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y ... however, the install script ALSO stalls and fails when I run the following suggested configuration commands as the very FIRST command-line inputs:
wget https://cloudron.io/cloudron-setup chmod +x ./cloudron-setup ./cloudron-setup --setup-token suP3r-F@ncY_T0keN
I tailed the log file within a separate terminal window, in order to keep an eye on things, and didn't notice any errors or problems until I encountered this as the very final entry within the /var/log/cloudron-setup.log file:
2023-07-19T17:55:46 ==> installer: installing/updating docker
This is all rather confusing and disappointing to me - as I am following the instructions to a T, and I am unsure of how to proceed. I have thoroughly searched through the support forums here for assistance and troubleshooting with similar issues, and I have tried to implement some of the solutions which were suggested within those threads. Although I have encountered a couple of similar queries for help - I haven't yet noticed anyone with an identical issue.
For what it is worth, I am glad that I have already managed to get a running and successfully installed version of Cloudron configured as a test-driver - because if this problem which I am trying to solve were encountered on my preliminary installation attempt, I would be considerably less eager to become further involved with this software. For a little bit more information in that regards: I have unlinked the other instance of Cloudron from my account, so that it is no longer connected to my membership within this website, since I figured it would be best to exhaust all possible points of conflict. I also tried to generate several additional and unique tokens when running and rerunning my installation attempts.
Anyhow, I figure that this is a rather exhaustive and detailed testimonial to my problems which I have encountered with the installation and configuration of a fresh Ubuntu 22.04 server - and in order to avoid burdening y'all with too much unnecessary information or senseless blabber, I will hereby sign off - while hoping for a bit of feedback and some guidance or pointing-in-the-right-direction upon the path of sysadmin trials and tribulations.
Gratefully - yet perplexedly,
Hey this is actually pretty funny - because I managed to solve the problem just NOW, around the very time that my post was approved for submission and viewing by the forum community!
I am going to leave the post up as an active contribution until someone suggest or requests that I close it down, on the occasion that it serves as useful for someone else who finds themselves in a similar predicament.
The way that I solved the problem, is that I manually uninstalled nginx, nodejs, and any of the remaining docker artifacts which were leftover from the failed Cloudron installation (by running # sudo apt purge 'package-name'... - and then I simply reran the installer script. Somehow, entirely unbeknownst to me, it worked just fine this time... however every other attempt that I embarked upon failed. In this case, the standard CLI complaint which is issued as a warning that states "it is suggested that you install on fresh OS" (or whatever it says) was best left ignored, and attempting the installation a second time over on top of a failed initial installation run-through was the way to do it.
Anyhow, thanks for coming to my TED talk, and next time I hope that my audience doesn't fall asleep due to boredom!