OpenVPN with AdGuard ?
how can I connect OpenVPN with AdGuard (both are on the same VPS)(using 1 main IP (x.x.x.x)).
- Clean install for both apps
- Give myself admin on OpenVPN
- Click the settings on OpenVPN panel
- Under the DNS put the main VPS IP (x.x.x.x) and check the client-to-client connections ?
Or am I missing something ? Is there some additional settings in AdGuard that needs to be made ?
Because when I do it like that it doesnt quite work. Im on discord and the discord works fine in the voice. But when searching something on google it doesnt. Even tho some Query Logs are being made on AdGuard ?
I did check out this post: https://forum.cloudron.io/topic/6929/openvpn-with-adguard/35
And nothing worked from it. I also had to use another VPS and install cloudron on it to host AdGuard and then use that IP on the VPS where OVPN is.
I am alright with it but I do have few concerns.
- The second VPS is in another country. Will that affect end user timings or anything like that ?
- Because its two difference VPSes (crappy VPSes) will it affect negatively in any way ?
Basically is there any downside for the end user ? Since its not only me using the OpenVPN from the main VPS.
I would expect your initial setup to work assuming x.x.x.x is a public IP . If you want to keep AdGuard internal, then you have to install it in another VPS. This is because AdGuard's internal Cloudron IP is not part of the VPN and clients need a way to access it somehow.
As for whether VPSs have any effect, I guess the main thing is latency from the client to the servers. I think only way to test this is to try it out and see if it's good enough.
I tried following setup and it works:
- Install AdGuard Home
- Install VPN app in same cloudron
- In VPN app, set DNS to public IP of cloudron (where AdGuard is installed).
- Connected from linux
I can see all DNS requests are going via AdGuard. I can see that in
systemctl status systemd-resolvedthe DNS of tun0 is set correctly.