Cloudron makes it easy to run web apps like WordPress, Nextcloud, GitLab on your server. Find out more or install now.


Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Bookmarks
  • Search
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

Cloudron Forum

Offical apps | Community apps | Demo | Docs | Install
  1. Cloudron Forum
  2. Package development
  3. Alternative lightweight base image

Alternative lightweight base image

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Package development
26 Posts 6 Posters 1.1k Views 6 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • girishG girish

    @timconsidine said:

    So actually I am totally with (a) following your guidance as to what is best, and (b) using a 300Mb image for simpler packages and (c) continuing to use the full cloudron/base of 2.3Gb where it is justified.

    So the plan is use a new base image which will be 300MB and see how it goes. The dev packages are needed for many of the nodejs and ruby programs unfortunately. But it's a start and we can experiment a bit from here.

    Really appreciate your feedback and the effort put into the 300MB 'slim' version, especially when your workload is so heavy with 10.x.x.

    This was part of the 10.1 work. It brings a new postgres, dovecot etc. All good stuff šŸ™‚

    timconsidineT
    timconsidineT
    timconsidine
    App Dev
    wrote last edited by
    #21

    @girish awesome !

    Indie app dev, scratching my itches : communityapps.appx.uk, portfolio at myca.appx.uk

    1 Reply Last reply
    1
    • jadudmJ
      jadudmJ
      jadudm
      wrote last edited by
      #22

      From a security standpoint, leaving dev packages out of the runtime container is a Very Good Thing.

      So, a question (with a clear angle): do nodejs and ruby programs need dev tools to run, or do they need dev tools to build?

      If the former, I'm surprised. If the latter, then a multistage build allows for a slimmer and more secure runtime container.

      I could also be confused, which is a common state of being.

      I use Cloudron on a DXP2800 NAS w/ 8TB in ZFS RAID1

      timconsidineT 1 Reply Last reply
      1
      • jadudmJ jadudm

        From a security standpoint, leaving dev packages out of the runtime container is a Very Good Thing.

        So, a question (with a clear angle): do nodejs and ruby programs need dev tools to run, or do they need dev tools to build?

        If the former, I'm surprised. If the latter, then a multistage build allows for a slimmer and more secure runtime container.

        I could also be confused, which is a common state of being.

        timconsidineT
        timconsidineT
        timconsidine
        App Dev
        wrote last edited by timconsidine
        #23

        @jadudm my understanding is dev tools only for building, so multistage build is the way to go, generally and from attack surface perspective.
        But I’m no expert.

        Indie app dev, scratching my itches : communityapps.appx.uk, portfolio at myca.appx.uk

        jadudmJ 1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • timconsidineT timconsidine

          @jadudm my understanding is dev tools only for building, so multistage build is the way to go, generally and from attack surface perspective.
          But I’m no expert.

          jadudmJ
          jadudmJ
          jadudm
          wrote last edited by
          #24

          @timconsidine In my day job, we wouldn't be allowed to ship production containers containing dev tools without an exception from an ISSO. I'm also not an expert, but I know that I am not allowed to ship production containers that provide attackers with tools to build further attack tooling from within my app container. (Perhaps that's just a +1.)

          I use Cloudron on a DXP2800 NAS w/ 8TB in ZFS RAID1

          1 Reply Last reply
          1
          • girishG
            girishG
            girish
            Staff
            wrote last edited by
            #25

            @jadudm I think @timconsidine is referring to the dev libraries, compilers, toolchains, shared objects etc as dev tools. I guess you are refering to the likes of programs that can say launch some network attack?

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • jadudmJ
              jadudmJ
              jadudm
              wrote last edited by jadudm
              #26

              In this instance, I am referring to (say) build-essential on Debian. If I have a C compiler in my runtime image, and someone compromises the host, they can build further tooling in the host because I gave them a hammer and nails.

              We generally have to follow NIST guidelines, and therefore our containers:

              1. Are not writeable (generally)
              2. Contain only the packages necessary to execute the software in the container
              3. Require allow listing for egress (meaning nothing in the container can talk to the outside world); this implies an egress proxy
              4. Only allow specific connections in (ingress proxy)
              5. ...

              Cloudron does some of this already. (To be clear: the reason I only use the official packages, and stay up to date, is because I trust the core product. Kudos to y'all, always.)

              Hence, the story I'm weaving (which I think Tim is as well) is that there might be a large, common build image for Cloudron (containing all of the build tools), but the runtime image (which a multistage build would copy into) is light/tight and shouldn't contain (say) a C/C++ compiler. You generally can't avoid having your language runtime(s) (e.g. ruby), but that doesn't mean that the runtime image needs the capability to install new libraries: everything should already be there for the app to execute.

              Maybe that helps explain my thinking/comment.

              I use Cloudron on a DXP2800 NAS w/ 8TB in ZFS RAID1

              1 Reply Last reply
              3

              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

              With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

              Register Login
              Reply
              • Reply as topic
              Log in to reply
              • Oldest to Newest
              • Newest to Oldest
              • Most Votes


              • Login

              • Don't have an account? Register

              • Login or register to search.
              • First post
                Last post
              0
              • Categories
              • Recent
              • Tags
              • Popular
              • Bookmarks
              • Search