Cloudron makes it easy to run web apps like WordPress, Nextcloud, GitLab on your server. Find out more or install now.


Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Bookmarks
  • Search
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

Cloudron Forum

Offical apps | Community apps | Demo | Docs | Install
  1. Cloudron Forum
  2. CouchPotato
  3. How to use without getting warned?

How to use without getting warned?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved CouchPotato
16 Posts 6 Posters 8.0k Views 5 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • humptyH
    humptyH
    humpty
    wrote on last edited by humpty
    #4

    I've stopped torrenting altogether because there are a ton of streaming sites that have everything I've been looking for. I have an LG TV (WebOS) and I stream the movies through the browser. It works great, never lags or buffers, and I haven't gotten any letters from my ISP. I'm too lazy to set up the VPN on the router and that would eliminate the risk but AFAIK, streaming isn't illegal, only downloading is. I don't want to share the streaming site publicly but send me a DM if anyone is interested.

    P.S. If you have a WebOS based TV, you can stream media from your PC directly to the TV by right clicking the media file --> Cast to Device --> Choose the TV from the list and voila!

    1 Reply Last reply
    4
    • ruihildtR
      ruihildtR
      ruihildt
      wrote on last edited by
      #5

      I am strongly opposed to removing tools and software using any protocols.

      What is illegal in a country can be legal in another.

      necrevistonnezrN 1 Reply Last reply
      3
      • ?
        ?
        A Former User
        wrote on last edited by
        #6

        How is CouchPotato any different from SickChill or Transmission?

        necrevistonnezrN 1 Reply Last reply
        1
        • ruihildtR ruihildt

          I am strongly opposed to removing tools and software using any protocols.

          What is illegal in a country can be legal in another.

          necrevistonnezrN
          necrevistonnezrN
          necrevistonnezr
          wrote on last edited by necrevistonnezr
          #7

          @ruihildt said in How to use without getting warned?:

          I am strongly opposed to removing tools and software using any protocols.

          What is illegal in a country can be legal in another.

          Can you name a country where torrenting copyrighted material is currently legal?

          And for Girish and Nebulon it’s only relevant whether it’s (il)legal in the relevant jurisdiction which is Germany (as Cloudron UG is incorporated there).

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • ? A Former User

            How is CouchPotato any different from SickChill or Transmission?

            necrevistonnezrN
            necrevistonnezrN
            necrevistonnezr
            wrote on last edited by
            #8

            @hillside502 said in How to use without getting warned?:

            How is CouchPotato any different from SickChill or Transmission?

            Couchpotato is not, it’s also intended to share copyrighted material.
            Transmission in a sense is neutral as you can share all sorts of things, e.g. theoretically legal stuff like the famous Linus ISOs everyone is sharing 😊

            ruihildtR 1 Reply Last reply
            1
            • necrevistonnezrN necrevistonnezr

              @hillside502 said in How to use without getting warned?:

              How is CouchPotato any different from SickChill or Transmission?

              Couchpotato is not, it’s also intended to share copyrighted material.
              Transmission in a sense is neutral as you can share all sorts of things, e.g. theoretically legal stuff like the famous Linus ISOs everyone is sharing 😊

              ruihildtR
              ruihildtR
              ruihildt
              wrote on last edited by
              #9

              @necrevistonnezr Copyrights length are not the same everywhere. So according to your jurisdiction, it can be legal or not to download a movie.

              And there are movies in the public domain, and every year more movies (and others 'materials') get back yo the public domain.

              necrevistonnezrN 1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • ruihildtR ruihildt

                @necrevistonnezr Copyrights length are not the same everywhere. So according to your jurisdiction, it can be legal or not to download a movie.

                And there are movies in the public domain, and every year more movies (and others 'materials') get back yo the public domain.

                necrevistonnezrN
                necrevistonnezrN
                necrevistonnezr
                wrote on last edited by necrevistonnezr
                #10

                @ruihildt said in How to use without getting warned?:

                @necrevistonnezr Copyrights length are not the same everywhere. So according to your jurisdiction, it can be legal or not to download a movie.

                Downloading is not the issue, torrenting is both ways, uploading & downloading.

                Again: Can you name a country where torrenting copyrighted material is currently legal?

                And again, I don’t care if a customer of Cloudron gets into legal trouble - I only care about the Cloudron crew and the project. To them, German law mostly relevant, though trouble can come from many other jurisdictions.

                ruihildtR 1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • necrevistonnezrN necrevistonnezr

                  @ruihildt said in How to use without getting warned?:

                  @necrevistonnezr Copyrights length are not the same everywhere. So according to your jurisdiction, it can be legal or not to download a movie.

                  Downloading is not the issue, torrenting is both ways, uploading & downloading.

                  Again: Can you name a country where torrenting copyrighted material is currently legal?

                  And again, I don’t care if a customer of Cloudron gets into legal trouble - I only care about the Cloudron crew and the project. To them, German law mostly relevant, though trouble can come from many other jurisdictions.

                  ruihildtR
                  ruihildtR
                  ruihildt
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #11

                  @necrevistonnezr Actually I can, WTO has allowed Antigua & Barbuda to disregard USA copyright, because of a trade dispute regarding gambling.

                  ruihildtR necrevistonnezrN 2 Replies Last reply
                  0
                  • ruihildtR ruihildt

                    @necrevistonnezr Actually I can, WTO has allowed Antigua & Barbuda to disregard USA copyright, because of a trade dispute regarding gambling.

                    ruihildtR
                    ruihildtR
                    ruihildt
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #12

                    Looks like Marshall Islands have no copyright laws at all.

                    Also see Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries'_copyright_lengths

                    Not all countries follow Berne convention, and eventually copyrights do expire.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    1
                    • ruihildtR ruihildt

                      @necrevistonnezr Actually I can, WTO has allowed Antigua & Barbuda to disregard USA copyright, because of a trade dispute regarding gambling.

                      necrevistonnezrN
                      necrevistonnezrN
                      necrevistonnezr
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #13

                      @ruihildt said in How to use without getting warned?:

                      @necrevistonnezr Actually I can, WTO has allowed Antigua & Barbuda to disregard USA copyright, because of a trade dispute regarding gambling.

                      That’s what I thought - the majority of (commercially) relevant countries… 😁

                      ruihildtR 1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • necrevistonnezrN necrevistonnezr

                        @ruihildt said in How to use without getting warned?:

                        @necrevistonnezr Actually I can, WTO has allowed Antigua & Barbuda to disregard USA copyright, because of a trade dispute regarding gambling.

                        That’s what I thought - the majority of (commercially) relevant countries… 😁

                        ruihildtR
                        ruihildtR
                        ruihildt
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #14

                        @necrevistonnezr said in How to use without getting warned?:

                        @necrevistonnezr Actually I can, WTO has allowed Antigua & Barbuda to disregard USA copyright, because of a trade dispute regarding gambling.

                        That’s what I thought - the majority of (commercially) relevant countries… 😁

                        I simply answered your question accurately and slightly tongue in cheek. 😉

                        But my main point stand, what is legal and copyrighted is different according to where you're living and at what point in time.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        1
                        • humptyH
                          humptyH
                          humpty
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #15

                          I'm going to post this guide here since we're talking about torrenting:

                          https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO/comments/fwgvsb/windows_10_best_privacy_practices/

                          There's a section (#P2P Anti Piracy Block Lists) in there that'll help torrenters stay safe without a VPN.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • scookeS
                            scookeS
                            scooke
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #16

                            Thanks for chiming in everyone. In the end I couldn't figure out how to set a destination folder, it kept defaulting to /home/cloudron, but I couldn't determine if that was / on the actual disk, or / within the app. And it just seemed like all the search options were mostly torrenting sites, so I just deleted it. I do torrent, but legit items like large iso's and the like. Cheers!

                            A life lived in fear is a life half-lived

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            1

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            Reply
                            • Reply as topic
                            Log in to reply
                            • Oldest to Newest
                            • Newest to Oldest
                            • Most Votes


                            • Login

                            • Don't have an account? Register

                            • Login or register to search.
                            • First post
                              Last post
                            0
                            • Categories
                            • Recent
                            • Tags
                            • Popular
                            • Bookmarks
                            • Search