Thinking about upgrading our Server
-
Hello,
currently, we run a VPS with 2 vCPUs, 8GB RAM and 300 GB HDD.There are currently six active accounts in my user base, and we’re mostly
- Nextcloud
- EuroOffice
- ElasticSeach (Community App)
- Vaultwarden
- yoURLs
- Etherpad Lite
- DocuSeal
- A couple of Surfer instances
We’re not reaching any hardware limits with that config I guess. But we're going to have around 30 users soon and need a Matomo instance for our upcoming new website.
What system performance would you guys suggest upgrading to, if necessary? I'm thinking about a VPS with 8 vCPUs, 24 GB RAM and around 500 GB HDD. Or a
KetchupNetcup RS 2000. Do you think this is overpowered? -
Hello,
currently, we run a VPS with 2 vCPUs, 8GB RAM and 300 GB HDD.There are currently six active accounts in my user base, and we’re mostly
- Nextcloud
- EuroOffice
- ElasticSeach (Community App)
- Vaultwarden
- yoURLs
- Etherpad Lite
- DocuSeal
- A couple of Surfer instances
We’re not reaching any hardware limits with that config I guess. But we're going to have around 30 users soon and need a Matomo instance for our upcoming new website.
What system performance would you guys suggest upgrading to, if necessary? I'm thinking about a VPS with 8 vCPUs, 24 GB RAM and around 500 GB HDD. Or a
KetchupNetcup RS 2000. Do you think this is overpowered?Ketchup RS 2000.
Presume you mean Netcup
https://www.netcup.com/en/server/root-server/rs-2000-g12.5-iv-24m-eu#rs-2000-g12.5-iv-12m-eu ?tbh I don't think "overpowered" is a thing, get the most powerful server your budget allows. Probably more RAM and SSD not HDD more important than CPU.
But yeah your existing 8GB RAM is under powered. Even most mobile phones have double that these days.
-
Hello,
currently, we run a VPS with 2 vCPUs, 8GB RAM and 300 GB HDD.There are currently six active accounts in my user base, and we’re mostly
- Nextcloud
- EuroOffice
- ElasticSeach (Community App)
- Vaultwarden
- yoURLs
- Etherpad Lite
- DocuSeal
- A couple of Surfer instances
We’re not reaching any hardware limits with that config I guess. But we're going to have around 30 users soon and need a Matomo instance for our upcoming new website.
What system performance would you guys suggest upgrading to, if necessary? I'm thinking about a VPS with 8 vCPUs, 24 GB RAM and around 500 GB HDD. Or a
KetchupNetcup RS 2000. Do you think this is overpowered?@David-0 : I agree with @jdaviescoates
-
Thanks for your input. (yeah, of course it's netcup, @jdaviescoates, damn autocorrect 🥫) As I thought, RAM is the most important issue when running several apps at once. Same as in every computer...
But: how does the difference between a VPS and a dedicated root server play out? Is there any way to compare these?
-
VPS (shared resource) is always a risk, but I only ever had one problem where claimed specs were not really available runtime (SSDNODES). Netcup is decent so you should get what you pay for. But if your Cloudron is "production" (meaning you rely on it for services), I would go for something more dedicated resource.
My first destination is Hetzner Auctions.
Interestingly their auctions are cheaper than their shared-resource VPS currently. They're pinched on RAM etc costs, but auction is still cheaper than VPS. My current Hetzner production cloudron is cheaper (60 euro) with much better specs than their cheapest dedicated auction (75 euro). But I think it's an industry thing, rather than a Hetzner thing.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login