Opt-in for Beta Updates
bbm_noahgilbert last edited by
Whenever I try and update my system, it’s always coming up with beta updates and I can’t opt-out of the beta updates and only get stable ones.
Was wondering if there can be an option to only get stable release updates and have an opt-in option for beta updates of both the platform and apps.
I would love to have those stable updates happen automatically but it seams that whenever it would update, it would always be the beta updates that are unstable for some reason.
Happy to discuss but was wondering if there was an option to include here for only allowing the updater to access stable updates for both apps and platform updates.
@bbm_noahgilbert generally we only have one release channel, but we roll out updates for automatic updates slowly and create patch releases on the way.
Because we often had users eager to test out releases asap, manually checking for updates on your Cloudron will skip that rollout order and your Cloudron will see any pending update, even though we would not have rolled it out for your Cloudron yet for automatic update.
Essentially if you only want updates once we roll them out for your Cloudron as well, just don't check for updates manually, but enable automatic updates.
I seem to be stuck on 6.2.8. Was that the last stable version?
@hillside502 the latest is 6.3.5 so maybe your autoupdates are disabled or they are for some reason not happening. In your case you could be checking manually for updates and see.
infogulch last edited by
@nebulon said in Opt-in for Beta Updates:
manually checking for updates on your Cloudron will skip that rollout order and your Cloudron will see any pending update
Perhaps it would be a good idea to indicate on the update page that the user is currently on the latest stable release and that a particular manually checked update is a beta release and will opt them into the beta channel.
@infogulch we rather try to keep things simple here. As said there is no real beta channel, we just roll out releases slowly, usually over a week and the eager people can hop on that right away.
The reason for rolling out slowly is, not that we actively risk things to break those releases are tested, but we also are not blind to reality and patch releases are still common. Maybe at some later stage we can introduce real alpha/beta/stable channels, but for now this would be just more release burden.
However in @bbm_noahgilbert 's case it seems there is simply a bug and thus an indicator would likely also be not working here.
Manual update only offers me 6.3.4 with the warning "This update is a pre-release and not considered stable yet. Please update at your own risk."
Does this mean I should go ahead, then be offered 6.3.5?
@hillside502 mmm, that seems like some bug since 6.3 is available for all since some time now. Are you on 6.2.8 or some 6.3.x ? Can you try refreshing the dashboard and check if that has any effect?
bbm_noahgilbert last edited by
@nebulon Thanks for clarifying that and will re-enable the automatic updates. Was just checking to see if there was a seperate channel for those and why I constantly saw the message saying that it was pre-release and not considered stable.
I’ll stick to the automatic updates as that follows the schedule of controlled updates from Cloudron, and I completely understand that some people would be willing to get the latest paches and releases for dev environments (for example).
Although maybe expanding the update options to include weeks and months might be good as some people/companies might prefer an patch management and update schedule each month rather than each week (just an idea but happy for your team to focus on more important features and bugs).
Currently on 6.2.8 --- switched auto updates off then on again --- still offered only unstable 6.3.4 --- shift-reload of the dashboard doesn't change.
My question was --- should I update to 6.3.4 --- if so, is it likely that I will then be offered 6.3.5?
Either way, there needs to be a published list of box versions --- stable and unstable.
@hillside502 Yes, you can update to 6.3.4 and safe. And then you update to 6.3.5. This is the correct update path.
I think what's wrong is that it is telling you 6.3.4 is unstable. It shouldn't be. I am trying to reproduce this, let's see.