SOLVED Metabase - ask questions and learn from data
In addition to Metabase itself as an app, it would be very useful to have an option to open up access to the MySQL / PostgreSQL database from other apps on the Cloudron to access from Metabase.
This is now fixed in 2.3. DB credentials are now constant. Simply use the web terminal to get the credentials of an internal database/app.
An initial skeletal packaging of metabase is up at https://git.cloudron.io/jimcavoli/metabase-app and everything works as expected. It runs via Java, so it's a bit of a memory hog...unfortunately I couldn't find a good solution other than to set the minimum at about 1G which seems to leave enough to get it running reliably...could be lower perhaps, but I'd question its usability at such a scale.
- Cloudron LDAP for SSO works - automatically mapping administrators doesn't, but that's not really the end of the world since you have to create an admin via the setup wizard on first run anyway
- Cloudron mail for email notifications works, both on-demand and scheduled
- App settings are stored in a postgres database
- Encryption key is generated at install to enable credential encryption at rest by default
- Update checking disabled by default
- Provision for user-specified configuration by environment variables set in
- Ability to add Oracle / Vertica / other plugins to
@jimcavoli Oh wow, this is awesome, thanks! We have been looking into some tool that can help us graph values from a database. Currently, our stats apps is entirely hand coded, so it makes it hard to generate new graphs.
Do you (or anyone else) have experience with metabase? How flexible is it?
I will give it a run tomorrow. (cc @luckow)
@girish I'm fairly familiar with both Metabase and deeply familiar with Grafana...you're probably looking for the latter, especially with collect already in place. It can be back by a lot of things too, and focuses just on graphing whereas Metabase is much more BI slanted. I'll take a look at Grafana today as well!
Metabase is now available as an unstable app. Thanks a lot @jimcavoli !
I have created a separate category for this app now - https://forum.cloudron.io/category/86/metabase . Please ask questions there, I will lock this thread.