Seafile selfhosted

• Re: Seafile - cloud storage platform

Seafile is file sync server
    It works much faster than nextcloud sync, has also extended administration options and the option to integrate with collabora online same as with nextcloud
    Why not to include it in the application list?
    P.S. Also the Pro edition that packed with all the featured is free up to 3 users

• @hiddNX said in Seafile selfhosted:

It works much faster than nextcloud sync, has also extended administration options and the option to integrate with collabora online same as with nextcloud

This claim about Seafile being faster than Nextcloud (and/or Owncloud) has been making rounds across the Internet for a couple of years now (example from 2014) but I wonder if (i) it was ever true, (ii) it's still true and (iii) supported by any reliable data / bench mark.

It's nice that they have fulltext search for files, although IIRC it does not work if the files are encrypted (apparently, Nextcloud does).

Was the dispute beetween the China based parent company and it's German subsidiary ever resolved?

Also:

The community edition is released under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License v3. The professional edition is released under a proprietary license.

• @necrevistonnezr said in Seafile selfhosted:

Was the dispute beetween the China based parent company and it's German subsidiary ever resolved?

The german company has stopped its business afair. But they have a new point of contact with https://www.datamate.org/seafile/server-plattformen/.

@necrevistonnezr said in Seafile selfhosted:

I wonder if (i) it was ever true, (ii) it's still true and (iii) supported by any reliable data / bench mark.

no numbers in it, but a general comparison can be found at https://blog.ssdnodes.com/blog/nextcloud-vs-seafile-dropbox-alternative/

I think the big challenge for solutions like Nextcloud is that all file processing is happening through php and when your php processor is busy receiving files then this will slow down ui interaction for users of the web client (even more so since EVERYTHING is php in Nextcloud). I do put some hopes into this new "infinite scale" backend that owncloud is working on, though.