Cloudron makes it easy to run web apps like WordPress, Nextcloud, GitLab on your server. Find out more or install now.

UX Clarity: Add Forwarding to Mailing Lists

• Email settings > Mailing Lists doesn't hint that it can be used for "Forwarding" much easier than by installing SoGo and finding the mail Sieve settings for Forwarding there after a user is created, logging in as that user and making the setting.

Adding a whole forwarding page configurator would be great with both options, but that's a bigger ask.

Otherwise it's hidden in the docs and much less obvious.

Thoughts?

• Not tried but doesn't "Mailing Lists" forwarding only work for emails that aren't already a Mailbox or Alias?

Whereas Sieve would be forwarding for an actual Mailbox and its Aliases?

• @marcusquinn
    not exactly, as even mailing list have a mailbox, so if you try to make one, it's already taken.

• I was looking for this the other day, and couldn't find it, so I support this request.

• @ruihildt said in UX Clarity: Add Forwarding to Mailling Lists:

I was looking for this the other day, and couldn't find it, so I support this request.

me too, felt stupid not noticing.
    then having to go impersonate a user just to set up sieve, ugh.

• Staff

@robi said in UX Clarity: Add Forwarding to Mailling Lists:

not exactly, as even mailing list have a mailbox, so if you try to make one, it's already taken.

Note that this is because the "name" is unique across mailboxes, lists and aliases. Not because mailing list has a mailbox. A mailing list is just a forwarding list, it does not have a storage location like a mailbox.

In practice, the main difference between a single email mailing list and sieve forwarding is that with the latter a copy of the mail can be kept in the mailbox (of course, you can setup a sieve rule to delete the mail immediately after forwarding). With an email list, it will forward and that's it. It's not saved anywhere on the server.

• @girish thank you for the correction.