How do you work from home? (if applicable)
Work from home is definitely the new normal, especially in IT related fields I find. I'm always trying to optimize and clean up my setup to make working from home more pleasant, and am really curious what others here do.
I'll share mine as well since I'm asking for other people's setups:
EDIT: And yes the sticker-bombed computer in the corner is my Cloudron server lol
marcusquinn last edited by marcusquinn
@atrilahiji Very nice! Lighting is important
My setup is a crazy hot-mess, as the real action happens in the computer.
Most important things is decent speakers though! (KRK Rokit 6s)
I'm liking this site too for sharing Kit Lists:
Although, yet to add my audio bits to it yet. Studied sound production at Uni and still meaning to get around to more time offline and making music again
@atrilahiji Niiice! GG +1 How do you like the triple monitors? what about 2 or 4?
I am currently half at home/office but my best upgrade at home has to be the Husky workbench aka standing desk lol
Not running 4 monitors anymore, went down to 2 but am putting the 3rd back Also I have moved the rig off the desk - it was originally for gaming and have replaced it with a lil lenovo thinclient as my daily driver. Lastly its not this clean anymore...
@plusone-nick Triple monitors is good and bad. Good because I have so much screen real-estate and bad because anytime I have to work on a laptop away from home I it just sucks.
Definitely liking that standing desk you have there
Very useful for extended time at the computer.
@marcusquinn I am unreasonably obsessed with RGB lighting... its a problem...
@atrilahiji Agree its hard to use less than 2 its not automatic but its still nice. Yeah it does extend time for better or worse
Was going to originally comment I don't have any RGB! Note to self: step game up and get some lol
@plusone-nick I mean for me its weirdly better for focusing. But not cheap and definitely not practical lol.
@atrilahiji What is the triangular LED on the wall? I've seen various types of those and been wanting to get a few
@plusone-nick oh those are by Nanoleaf. Specifically the Nanoleaf Shapes Mini Triangles starter kit
@atrilahiji That's a nice setup - Is that Wallpaper Engine or just a static wallpaper?
@murgero oh that’s just a static wallpaper from MIBHDs collection. I’m sure it’s from someone else but this is where I found it https://mobile.twitter.com/MKBHD/status/200002096706240512
@atrilahiji You should consider wallpaper engine
@murgero I have it actually I just haven’t used it. Guess I’ll give it a shot
You two have set two high a bar for the rest of us :)! My desk is a dumping ground for my son's stuff, I tried to clean it up a bit for my photo but usually it's not even this clean
But the most important things for me are:
- I moved my desk to be near the balcony. I love looking outside frequently. There's this tree outside with a lot of squirrels. They are all hyper active like hammy in Over the hedge.
- I moved it also near the heater hee hee. We don't have central heating, so nice to keep the feet warm!
- I took a step backward and switched from Wayland to X. My dual monitor setup is now more stable. Also upgraded Ubuntu 20 a month or so ago.
- That machine behind the laptop is my main Cloudron. I really appreciate how noiseless it is (thinkcenter).
- The same cannot be said about the black tower below. It is a source of noise, a power hog and extra house heating It wasn't a problem before the pandemic but these days it's on all the time.. Atleast, I don't work on C++ stuff anymore! No more long compiles.. While it compiles super fast, it's also very power hungry and the fan is noisy. Which reminds me that I probably need to clean the fan, it's become more prone to dust clog after I moved near the balcony.
- Ultimately, I cannot wait to get back to my co-working space! Sadly, they shutdown because of the pandemic, so I have to find a new one when things get back to normal.
marcusquinn last edited by
@girish Talking of fanless - I wonder how long before the AppleTV gets the M1 chip and could be a Raspberry Pii alternative
@girish Nice! Thats still a really clean setup. Simple and to the point
And the balcony view is definitely a nice bonus. I'm in the basement. Also doesn't help that its below -40C right now lol
@girish my memory is spotty - what coworking space was that again? they had one on E Santa Clara in SJ right? I recall seeing you guys on their site when I first found out about Cloudron
I don't wanna take a picture cause my desk is filthy but -
- Single Monitor (1080p)
- Dell Precision T7610
- 128GB RAM
- Dual-CPU (2x Intel Xeon E5-2670's @ 10 cores each with Hyperthreading for a total of 40 logical cores)
- 4TB SSD in two separate RAID configurations
- And because I'm wild and like gaming I have put an RX 580 Series Radeon card in this server cause why not!
Yes, this is server, enterprise hardware, no it is NOT being used as such. I use it for heavy gaming and as my personal computer.
@murgero Oh wow 40 logical cores O_O