Cloudron makes it easy to run web apps like WordPress, Nextcloud, GitLab on your server. Find out more or install now.

Skip to content

Off-topic

Anything else not related to Cloudron

255 Topics 2.0k Posts
  • Anytype (finally) released for public beta

14 Votes
    18 Posts
    1k Views
    marcusquinnM

@necrevistonnezr Only put it here because it doesn't need any hosting, but I suppose the self-hosted options could be desirable by some.

• Best privacy chat apps

Moved
    1 Votes
    135 Posts
    17k Views
    scookeS

@jdaviescoates I'm just using the terms that were in the post. "A single Bitcoin transaction...", "iPhone ... process more transactions". Both transactions are on the blockchain. Perhaps the first statement was trying to say something more like "ALL the computers connected to the blockchain when a transaction occurs use more energy than...". The first statement sounds like an exaggeration and frankly won't sway most away from using Bitcoin (well, any phrase always has the potential to sway some number of people any which way). It wouldn't be accurate to say that ALL computers connected to the blockchain are essential for any given transaction to process, but that is what is implied. It isn't true. It certainly is fine and good for people to make others aware that there are costs associated with Bitcoin, but I'd avoid fearmongering.

I thought I'd brush up my info before posting, and read https://river.com/learn/how-does-a-bitcoin-transaction-work/. So, yeah, I can't confirm how much energy a given mining NODE uses to mine a specific order, but it still looks to me like fearmongering when the costs are talked about, generally.

• Self-Hosted Applications Directory

8 Votes
    6 Posts
    jdaviescoatesJ

@RazielKanos said in Open Sorce Alternatives:

Heyas,
    I didn't know that websites, but really think it's cool, maybe you find something useful there too 😄

https://www.opensourcealternative.to/

• Now try this one...

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    L

@scooke It is a fun deepfake of two US Presidents.

• Permission is hereby granted

4 Votes
    7 Posts
    jdaviescoatesJ

@scooke ChatGPT wrote them in an instant.

• The Petabyte Pi Project

2 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • How did you survive the eclipse?

2 Votes
    4 Posts
    G

I watched churchgoers panic and bunked out of the office

• This topic is deleted!

Solved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • LocalSend FOSS to send files across devices

5 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • Who has a Flipper zero?

2 Votes
    3 Posts
    luckowL

I got mine from the Kickstarter campaign a long time ago. Nice piece of hardware, friendly community and a lot of alternative firmware versions in circulation. I've been playing a lot with different apps to replicate hotel room cards, log other travellers out of train wifi, turn off annoying TV screens in bars and experiment with the wifi devboard. The moment one of my hardware nerd friends looked at this little device with wide eyes, I decided to give it to him as a gift.
    If you enjoy hardware, this is your tool of choice.

• Personal Management Apps

1 Votes
    8 Posts
    micmcM

@JLX89 Seriously, looking at personal management system I think the thing that is the nearest app would be AnyType it's open source and can be modified to your licking, however comes with a great deal of templates and a ready to use structure. Reminds a lot of how Notion works. Also, there's been a few discussion about AnyType here on the forum, a simple search is revealing. 🙂

• Docker compatible fileserver service

2 Votes
    4 Posts
    KubernetesK

@fbartels Thanks a lot for the suggestion of "Crazy Max" docker-samba. I did test it together with the other options. Finally I did like the configuration and usage of it most and decided to use it now. ✔

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • some good news finally..

6 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • Docker Image as working environment?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    timconsidineT

check out Kasm - rock solid with lots of environments, and their images can be used 'standalone' (I think)

• Valid alternatives to Webcatalog?

0 Votes
    24 Posts
    1k Views
    P

@humptydumpty They did an update that broken all apps... now they fixed, but they didn't give any feedback for about 24 hours.

• 4 Votes
    3 Posts
    P

@lucidfox Thank you very much, I will go and see the recommended apps immediately.

As for Missive, I have serious doubts about privacy and data management, furthermore it seems that there is confusion with pricing: they continue to increase prices, even for existing customers. Anyway, I'll go take a deeper look at it as soon as I can.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    andreasduerenA

@scooke said in Suggestions for back/storage/CDN app which generates thumbnails for EVERYTHING (including fonts)!:

@andreasdueren Interesting. I have since you posted this. Two things stand out as negatives. There doesn't seem to be a way to upload folders, and sadly I am not going to manually create folder after subfolder after subfolder! And two, from what I can tell, all the files I uploaded INTO folders I had made in the GUI still just end up in a single uploaded folder mess! Everything uploaded goes to the same place. Well, if I ever want to download the files from within the Docker container/image whatever, they are ALL scattered and intermixed. Too bad.

I haven't tried uploading a folder from the File Manager window, and then checked to see if the files and their folders appear in the Dashboard intact. Let me check... and they don't appear. There does appear to (maybe) upload files directly to folders already in the root folder using their API... but that is beyond me.

As a CDN this seems like a great solution, even a Cloudinary replacement. As a DAM, like FileRun, no. Thank you for pointing me in this direction, I think I will use it for my email newsletters!

Yes unfortunately file management is sub par

• 11 Votes
    62 Posts
    7k Views
    necrevistonnezrN

@jagan said in A list of Cloudron-like services/ competitors:

Please add Restack.

https://www.restack.io/

Wow, this is expensive…. Chatwoot alone is 40$ / month. Not many apps (most „coming soon“). And I don’t see an email stack, backup routines, or something like that…?

• Cloudfest 2024

2 Votes
    7 Posts
    BrutalBirdieB

@scooke only benefit would be that it could be tracked back to Cloudron as the inviter 🤷
    So nah, all good.