Video/screencast tutorial suggestions
We noticed that there was a lot of interest when @fbartels suggested that he will do a live stream of Cloudron packaging. As you probably know, Cloudron has very little in the way of video tutorials and screen casts.
If you have a video/screencast tutorial request for a topic related to Cloudron or self-hosting in general, please leave a note here. Would also be great if someone from the community is willing to make any videos and share it here!
(P.S. These videos will serve as a good seed for our peertube instance when we have the app ready :). )
Yeah, pretty cool and pretty good idea indeed.
Personally I can do screen videos, I've been doing this for years for tutorials and trainings etc., and I do commercial ones as well.
So, when you start posting about video tutorials you'd like to see I might get onto it.
If I may throw in some suggestions myself:
- How to setup Cloudron on an internal/home network
- How to import mail from existing provider into Cloudron mail server
In the way of marketing optimisation you could do videos like:
- Install $popular_app on $provider with Cloudron
Such a video could show how to spin up a cloudron at a given provider and then simply install and show first usage of an app. A good part of this can be reused when repeating the process for another provider and app.
While I am personally more a fan of written documentation (I'd rather quickly scan a document, than having to watch a ten minute video for the 30 second bit of information that I was after; hooray for double playback speed) I have in the past gotten great feedback from users that have used webinars I have published as a base for their experiments.
How to setup Cloudron on an internal/home network
It depends on who you want to target precisely with these videos, but I would suggest to start with the basic : how to install on a normal VPS / dedicated server, how to set up DNS for a few of the most popular providers ...
jdaviescoates last edited by
how to install on a normal VPS / dedicated server, how to set up DNS for a few of the most popular providers ...
I kinda sorta agree, although that's so easy it almost doesn't need a video (although such videos existing would no doubt help with marketing - if only because it would show how easy it is), whereas a home network a little more complicated.
jdaviescoates last edited by jdaviescoates
Some suggestions from me (written documentation on all this would be great too):
- How to publish a git powered website using GitHub Pages on Cloudron for people who have almost zero experience with git
- How to install apps on the LAMP app. More technical users on here can often been seen saying in response to App wishlist posts "you could just install that on the LAMP app" - but there isn't really any documentation about exactly what steps are needed to do that for less technical users. Knowing how to do this would give us even more superpowers
- How you could (e.g. in a disaster) use your Cloudron apps without Cloudron as per @girish saying "even if Cloudron backend becomes closed or you decide to move away from Cloudron, you can always take your data and figure out how to import it in a non-Cloudron setup" here and "Cloudron backend is FOSS and usable completely standalone and you can use it without the fontend or the Cloudron App Store" here. Given the frontend isn't AGPL anymore, I think knowing how to do this (and moreover, actually seeing it done in a video) would reduce potential fears about vendor lock-in/ building a business on top of Cloudron/ existing disaster recover options.
- How to set-up Matrix/ Riot - this is actually documented, but loads of people still seem to e.g. miss that you need have had an app installed at example.com before it'll work, even if you want it at subdomain.example.com
- How to use floating IPs to create a complete backup/ mirror of your Cloudron on another VPS (as alluded to by @girish here)
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I wanted to also explain a bit, that we currently lack the ability and expertise to create such screencasts or videos, otherwise we would have done so already. So please let us know if anyone of you has done some in the past and could help us out there
would love to work with you on some videos.
jdaviescoates last edited by
Creating tutorials and how-tos has been on my todolist for month, but since I've never done any, the quality would probably be not great. Any tips and pointers would be much appreciated. I would have done some screencasts in german for my target audience, but globally available, professional videos would be even better.
The usecases I wanted to present were along the lines of how to setup
- contact/calsync with outlook/thunderbird, nextcloud and android/ios
- gitlab or wekan & rocket.chat (webhooks)
- lamp app with random php application (e.g. joomla)
- build your own app (what @fbartels has planned)
and the most important of all: a 1-2 min introduction video to cloudron, from installing to a quick overview of the user management to installing apps, but things are changing so rapidly, that would be outdated real fast