Moving Cloudron to new server : stop apps?
timconsidine last edited by girish
I am just about to move my Cloudron instance to a new server.
New VPS provider - switching to SSDNODES as they have some awesome offers on at the moment
Moved server once before and following the docs carefully (I hope)
But just occurred to me : is it best(better) practice to stop all apps before taking a backup ?
robi last edited by
No, that's not necessary. But if you have a heavily used app, then it helps to stop new data coming in and have a planned outage.
Yep, although I told the users about server downtime, I never trust users (because I am one and I know what I'm like sometimes !!)
@robi : All done !
No issues apart from manually creating mount points for some apps. Which is hardly an issue at all.
Some detailed checking of apps to be done.
But wow, Cloudron is just amazing in ease of use and seamless process.
robi last edited by
@timconsidine Awesome, did you even have to use the docs?
is it best(better) practice to stop all apps before taking a backup ?
Stopping the app actually counterproductive, since stopped apps are not part of the whole system backup. Therefore it cannot be recommended.
I recently also had to move my Cloudron instance to a newer (bigger and latest supported os) server and was tinkering with scripts to smoothen out the already very good migration experience. What I ended up doing was writing a small bash script to kick off the backup, poll its state until complete and directly turn off the old server and send me a notification about it.
I have collected my steps at https://blog.9wd.eu/posts/cloudron-migration/
Stopping the app actually counterproductive, since stopped apps are not part of the whole system backup.
Interesting point, thank you
Probably it would be good to clarify this in the docs, as without this knowledge, it might seem the safer thing to do.
Not sure who manages the docs.
Thanks for the script, also interesting.
The only 'challenge' (although also not really an issue) is that I use ClouDns who are not directly supported, so I use the Wildcard approach. So I have 20+ domains to update the DNS for. Sadly I don't think that can be scripted.
@fbartels The only minor nuisance is that I didn't set the PTR record in the new VPS provider until I started the migration. And >12 hours later, it's still not propagated.
But out of my control, I guess, just have to wait.
Patience is not a virtue I am known for !