Many thanks for this. The function is not actually activated but for some reasons the client seem to apply some kind of spam filter (even though when I open my spam folder it explicitly says that spam filtering is not done by the client but by the server). Anyway I definitely know where to look now so THANK YOU for your help and sorry for the tangent as this is not a Cloudron issue
@nebulon : interesting about Nextcloud
I used to have 4 x Nextcloud instances in my Cloudron server (different projects). 3 of them about 10Gb of files (other smaller).
My backups were working but slow.
Even after switching to 'better' VPS provider.
So after testing Seafile for a while, I have moved 2 of the Nextcloud instances over to a single Seafile VPS (with different libraries for segregation). The other 2 Nextcloud instances will follow.
I have nothing against Nextcloud and been very happy for it for long time. But if it is really only being used for file collaboration and device syncing, and you don't actually NEED the extra facilities it provides, my personal view is that Seafile is a better solution.
So would be awesome to get Seafile onto Cloudron.
But I'm quite happy running it on a separate VPS.
Given that the backups are working fine on the hetzner instances, this indicates an issue during backup with the mountpoint. Maybe the connection to the storage box sees some hiccups. Those issues are generally quite hard to debug since they are often on the lower system levels 😕 Maybe you can also reach out to netcup/hetzner if they see any interruption between their networks during the time your backup failed last time.
Having a real hate / love relation with Cloudron...
The convenience of having all apps securely managed under one roof is simply fantastic.
That said, we installed Cloudron to eliminate time spend setting up simple, open-source applications - but many times we end up trying to find workarounds installing certain dependencies needed for 3rd party plugins from installed Cloudron apps...
I'm really hoping they'll allow a bit more control within the containers in the future..
@girish Many thanks Girish. It must have been a space problem indeed. Looking at the log, the processed froze while downloading the last big part of the image (~570MB). I tried to duplicate the app, which worked fine but and the process also froze when trying to update it (also while downloading that part the image).
Anyway, I had a about 3GB of free space which I though would be enough to update Wekan but after doing some cleaning up on the server (like deleting old apps I wasn't using), I went to about 7GB of free space and the update started working again.
@girish weird, "./" was the first thing I tried when it didn't on its own but there again it threw me an error about command not found and minio-credentials not being a folder. I resorted to trying bash in case I got it wrong and that's the only time it at least tried to run something (but ran into those errors).
But have just done it again and it worked fine, I must have done something wrong the first time.
Sorry for reporting a non issue and thanks for getting back