Cloudron makes it easy to run web apps like WordPress, Nextcloud, GitLab on your server. Find out more or install now.

Skip to content

Off-topic

Anything else not related to Cloudron

260 Topics 2.0k Posts
  • Git utility ?

1 Votes
    11 Posts
    timconsidineT

@murgero : I tried VSCode a bit more, and tried Sourcetree.
    GitHub Desktop didn't gel for me (don't really know why).

Update for anyone else sitting on the fence : try VSCode !
    Works really nicely, easy integrated environment, relatively low learning curve.
    Certainly suits me as a relative beginner.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    necrevistonnezrN

@robi said in Configure common Downloads folder or just sync?:

If you're on Windows, there's a nice instant search tool called Everything, which can be useful for finding stuff instantly.

Spotlight / Alfred (also with full text index) or Find any File on macOS

If you're on Windows and don't have Admin rights (work PC...) as required for Everything: Locate32 (also available in 64bit 😊) is your friend, works standalone, albeit with an index that (automatically) updates from time to time

• SMS desktop app

6 Votes
    61 Posts
    6k Views
    timconsidineT

@LoudLemur .... but they have marketing driven cookies

• CTemplar shutting down ... :-(

3 Votes
    5 Posts
    girishG

They also had a complete data loss - https://www.techrepublic.com/forums/discussions/critical-incident-at-ctemplar-who-lost-all-its-clientsemails/

• Moving my Cloudron to the cloud

2 Votes
    3 Posts

@girish ha! I'm doing an rsync to the new storagebox and yes.. just the last one which is the only one in the temporary local backup space.

I tried backing up directly to the storagebox but it kept failing. I also see it fails after a few hours when doing it manually but I can restart it easily enough 🙂

Any tips are welcome for sure though. It's taken a week to get here trying various things... doesn't help when you have nearly half a terabyte of data across your Nextcloud apps etc.

• Alternative to Parallels/VirtualBox?

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    fbartelsF

@mehdi said in Alternative to Parallels/VirtualBox?:

compared to simply the official Docker for Mac setup ?

Docker changed the licensing of Docker Desktop a while ago making it no longer free to use for larger organisations.

• Thanks to the support

9 Votes
    3 Posts
    L

@nebulon

I think this CAPTCHA topic is worthy of a thread of its own and I have started one here:

https://forum.cloudron.io/topic/6789/captcha-options-for-cloudron-applications

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    L

@humptydumpty https://gandi.net are good at most things and might do that DNS automation too. They have their own service, I think.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    L

@charles004

There is a "Fleet" module in Odoo Community Edition, if you can get that to work. You can setup a great deal of details there including stuff like maintenance dates etc.

You could also consider setting up several calendars, one for each car. Treat each car like a room or calendar and you could assign occupants for it - driver/passenger perhaps.

You might be able to use a Gantt chart for planning when vehicles might become available in one of the project management tools. Odoo has Gantt functionality too.

• 5 Votes
    11 Posts
    34k Views
    murgeroM

@humptydumpty during the install you have the option to change how much ubuntu uses - if you left it alone it would have used the default amount.

If this is a VPS provider, they likely did it wrong as well.

• Server download podcasts

1 Votes
    2 Posts
    timconsidineT

I seem to always forget about reddit as a source

Just thought I would point out there is a nice podcast downloader for docker that will let you easily add podcasts to Jellyfin. I added them as a music library. It isn't perfect but it works pretty well. It will search for podcasts you want and auto add them to be downloaded on a regular basis and it will also download the old episodes if you want as well.

https://github.com/akhilrex/podgrab

Will check this out, but always interested to know how others handle this

• FluxOS

3 Votes
    2 Posts
    P

@marcusquinn Would be nice to support one or more of the decentralized node hosting networks for some passive income, cloudron could make it easy to manage

• Wordpress demo site

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    girishG

@mdreira backups (automatic or not) are always cleaned up. The feature you want is planned for 7.2 - https://forum.cloudron.io/topic/6655/what-s-coming-in-7-2 . The "Give backups a name and control how they are preserved/cleaned up." item

• Which NVME is best for servers?

1 Votes
    11 Posts
    L

Backblaze regularly publish interesting statistics on drive survival:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/ssd-edition-2021-drive-stats-review/

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q2-2021/

• "Off-Internet" Messaging : Ukraine

12 Votes
    16 Posts
    timconsidineT

@rmdes thank you will check out cwtch.

• Alternative self-hosted app to "Loom"

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    micmcM

@p44 Something much similar to this can be accomplished on server side with Jitsi Meet and BBB with Greenlight front end, the former and lather both available on Cloudron.

I'd become aware of Loom a few years back and as far as I can remember it's a desktop app that installs in your browser, thus a JS app, which also connects with their server for more... etc.

Jitsi would be the one that is the simplest one to use to mockup "click record and share" in a Loom way IMHO, though very likely without being as cute. 😊

• 1 Votes
    2 Posts
    micmcM

@ei8fdb Apparently, this was limited in time and seems to not be accessible anymore. Too bad.
    Thanks for sharing.

• 3 Votes
    8 Posts
    fbartelsF

@atridad said in Interesting read on self-hosting email, with perhaps some tidbits that'd be helpful for Cloudron in the future (i.e. monitoring):

the main difference is where the emails are stored when not in transit

This was the case up until a few years ago. Nowadays a large part is deliverability.

Every system on the internet can theoretically sent mails to any other system and this means that there are a lot of people actually using this to send spam. This has caused large providers to block out entire ip ranges and datacenters. So if you don't want to silently end up in the junk folders of gmail and office 365, your best bet is to send through them as well. Its not impossible to host your own mail, and there are still mail relays you could use to improve your chances, but it is definitely something to consider when self hosting mails.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    robiR

@luckow wasn't suggesting it was.. it says specifically something similar. 😃

• 2 Votes
    4 Posts
    BrutalBirdieB

@rmdes
    Not so much intense, more annoyed by my own mistake.
    I'm pretty confident in the cloudron backup system since I destroyed my cloudron multiple times like this with installing other software, tinkering with code yada yada.

But having the restore error on me made my heart race a little I must admit.

Knowing this error seems cryptic and off I knew something must be wrong.
    I even tried coping the whole backup into the system and restoring that (Filesystem Mountpoint) with the same error.
    So I knew something was up.

I am glad I run into this issue so I can provide this experience and a more newbie user does not have to stress themself out with this.