Cloudron makes it easy to run web apps like WordPress, Nextcloud, GitLab on your server. Find out more or install now.

Skip to content

Off-topic

Anything else not related to Cloudron

254 Topics 2.0k Posts
  • Runtipi

Moved
    2 Votes
    7 Posts
    A

I would love a summary write-up about the pros/cons between the twos (Cloudron vs Tipi).
    I'm new to this world and it's hard to see the differences at first glance.

• RIP Z-LIB

2 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    robiR

This is the software behind https://annas-archive.org from their private Gitlab

https://annas-software.org/AnnaArchivist/annas-archive

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    marcusquinnM

For WordPress, installing the "Flying Images" plugin gets you a free and easy image CDN, their other plugins are great, too.

• Figma to HTML via Anima

2 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    nebulonN

@LoudLemur you probably know this, but Cloudron code is on a GitLab instance on a Cloudron https://git.cloudron.io so all this seems quite unrelated tbh.

• 1 Votes
    5 Posts
    robiR

@timconsidine Great idea

@amirisgithub here's the info for the benefits https://www.cloudron.io/referral.html

• 1 Votes
    6 Posts
    robiR

@xbxyii in that case you need to find the combination that applies to you:
    https://www.qwant.com/?q=virtualbox+avx+support

Perhaps this one applies if you're on a Microsoft host.

• why i don't use webhosting services like wix

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    A

@Rick definitely. o, and imagine they have a connection with...those boys.
    yup, the IT guys sitting at their ouse watching the packets.
    the alphabet boys.
    and wicks once had a vulenrability in their servers, something about a dom based XSS attack. i mean, yeah, cloudron somewhat controls your certificates but at least you can change that.

• 0 Votes
    16 Posts
    scookeS

@humptydumpty I found the plugins section to not be so clear what, if any, options need to be entered into the settings.json file. I found that the best place to get clear info on this was on the plugins npmjs.org page, for example, https://www.npmjs.com/package/ep_image_upload. Probably where it might not suit your use-case exactly is being able to markup ON the image. But there might be a plugin for that, too. But at least the live chat and video chat made it easier for the client and I to pinpoint the issues, as long as I made clear notes based on the conversation and chat logs.

• Cloudflare Brittany Pietsch

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    marcusquinnM

@robi I'm sure all these things come down to the quality and comprehensiveness of the contract and related policies. Can't comment on that. Just interesting, as it is a test of how Cloudflare handle the now public debate, which I think is the more interesting aspect and test for them.

@LoudLemur I hear you, the whole; "if something is free, you are the product" comes to mind. Even if they are all for good, concentration of power often attracts trouble, so perhaps there will be some victim of their own success issues, and of course they will very much be on the radar for anyone that could see benefit from what they funnel. Definitely not assuming their free "service" isn't without hazards.

• experiences of eOS degoogled

2 Votes
    9 Posts
    jdaviescoatesJ

I should add, the worst annoying problem I've had have been poor BlueTooth performance. But to be fair it's gotten a lot better over time and I think at least part of the issue is my hardware, not the software.

There was also a foollshly planned roll out of their actually pretty cool Advanced Privacy features: when they first push the update it was all turned on by default, including the spoofing of location and IP address, which made loads of apps (like maps, both others too) just not work because they were being blocked by the new Advanced Privacy features.

Again for usability, I actually turn quite a few of their Advanced Privacy features off because too many things just don't work if you have them on (e.g. unfortunately for one of my contracts with a Charity I do some work for I need to use Outlook and it just wasn't working because all M$ servers were automatically being blocked - but it was OK once I whitelisted the necessary ones).

• 0 Votes
    23 Posts
    2k Views
    girishG

@usmanmalik thanks for your comment, but it's best if you post this in Contabo forums . Just rechecking in case there is a confusion, this is the Cloudron forum which is totally separate and has no relationship with Contabo .

• Free one year renewal with domain transfer?

1 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • 22 Votes
    10 Posts
    archosA

Merry Christmas everyone😊

• Dovecot 3 Will Be Single Server

2 Votes
    2 Posts
    fbartelsF

@michaelpope yes, I've seen some people being concerned about it. But it's either you are a very large deployment, or people with small but very special deployments.

For the typical cloudron use case this should not matter.

Ps: i have not watched the video

• Moving away from Gandi

Moved
    7 Votes
    20 Posts
    L

@frei said in Moving away from Gandi:

Epik.com has been the go-to for me

How did you configure the Cloudron with Epik during the initial setup?

brave_NBVInmEWCV.png

• Best Constant Contact alternative?

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    C

@jdaviescoates A platform to consider is SendFox. They offer a pay-once option for $US49 that would handle 5,000 subscribers. I can't vouch for deliverability, but I have referred several clients to this platform without any negative feedback. Another option is Mailerlite. Again, I have no firsthand knowledge about deliverability but clients are using this with no complaints.

That being said, ListMonk looks like an interesting platform that we are evaluating to provide email list subscription services (using Cloudron) to our clients rather than referring them to these external solutions.

Since your client is paying in Canadian dollars, I would suggest that they confirm with any of these solution providers that their platforms comply with any Canadian spam and privacy regulations.

Lastly, it can be difficult to migrate from one provider to another. The new provider can get prickly about "opt-in" requirements and whether a CSV list exported from Constant Contact (assuming this is possible) meets those requirements. Better to know what is and what is not permissible before leaving Constant Contact.

• hi guys

2 Votes
    9 Posts
    A

also, i should ask, why does this thing have to send you emails?
    o well, luckily i setup an alias that can be disabled at anytime in the case that i get annoyed.
    i use simplelogin for my dayly email

• Web dev - How would you go at it today?

4 Votes
    7 Posts
    scookeS

@Neiluj said in Web dev - How would you go at it today?:

breaking things into "ingestible" bits / smaller actionable parts

You know, I tried this exactly ... with ChatGPT! I've managed to get one app idea into a visual, working, state. I gave the command, and because I said the app has to be cross-platform, ChatGPT opted to give a bunch of code in Flutter. I then decided to install all the required software (flutter, android studio, etc.) to see if the code actually worked, and it did. From that initial command, I then iterated on it and asked, "with the code you just gave me, add this functionality" a few times and wow. I'm currently stuck on getting it to provide me with code to plug into a db backend, but it's progress.

• S4 Object Storage from MEGA - S3 alternative

7 Votes
    11 Posts
    robiR

@micmc does the generic S3 option not work?