Cloudron makes it easy to run web apps like WordPress, Nextcloud, GitLab on your server. Find out more or install now.

Skip to content

Off-topic

Anything else not related to Cloudron

254 Topics 2.0k Posts
  • Permission is hereby granted

4 Votes
    7 Posts
    jdaviescoatesJ

@scooke ChatGPT wrote them in an instant.

• The Petabyte Pi Project

2 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • How did you survive the eclipse?

2 Votes
    4 Posts
    G

I watched churchgoers panic and bunked out of the office

• Self-Hosted Applications Directory

8 Votes
    5 Posts
    rosanoR

good finds here! will check out the first one's podcast too.

@jdaviescoates thanks for mentioning that, yes i think there are tons of self-hosted solutions out there and i would like to highlight what is possible with one-click (as not everyone can deal with github READMEs). hope to improve easy indie and maybe integrate with apps from that other topic 🙏🏽☀️

• This topic is deleted!

Solved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • LocalSend FOSS to send files across devices

5 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • Who has a Flipper zero?

2 Votes
    3 Posts
    luckowL

I got mine from the Kickstarter campaign a long time ago. Nice piece of hardware, friendly community and a lot of alternative firmware versions in circulation. I've been playing a lot with different apps to replicate hotel room cards, log other travellers out of train wifi, turn off annoying TV screens in bars and experiment with the wifi devboard. The moment one of my hardware nerd friends looked at this little device with wide eyes, I decided to give it to him as a gift.
    If you enjoy hardware, this is your tool of choice.

• Personal Management Apps

1 Votes
    8 Posts
    micmcM

@JLX89 Seriously, looking at personal management system I think the thing that is the nearest app would be AnyType it's open source and can be modified to your licking, however comes with a great deal of templates and a ready to use structure. Reminds a lot of how Notion works. Also, there's been a few discussion about AnyType here on the forum, a simple search is revealing. 🙂

• Docker compatible fileserver service

2 Votes
    4 Posts
    KubernetesK

@fbartels Thanks a lot for the suggestion of "Crazy Max" docker-samba. I did test it together with the other options. Finally I did like the configuration and usage of it most and decided to use it now. ✔

• Anytype (finally) released for public beta

13 Votes
    13 Posts
    L

@jordanurbs said in Anytype (finally) released for public beta:

Any updates on the self-hosting to avoid IPFS? Would love to use this on Cloudron

I think IPFS is great! You know you can "submarine" IPFS, so that the files are not published outside of your network?

Here is Claude Sonnet:
    In the context of the InterPlanetary File System (IPFS), "submarining" refers to the practice of running an IPFS node in a way that limits its visibility and connectivity to the wider IPFS network. It's essentially a way to create a private or semi-private IPFS network.

As for creating a fully private IPFS network where your files are not shared with the public, the term used is "private IPFS network" or "private IPFS swarm." This involves configuring IPFS nodes to connect and communicate only with a specific set of trusted peers, rather than connecting to the entire public IPFS network.

To set up a private IPFS network, you need to follow these general steps:

Bootstrap nodes: Designate one or more nodes as bootstrap nodes, which act as entry points for new nodes joining the private network.
    Configure nodes: Configure each node in the private network with a list of bootstrap node addresses and any other necessary settings, such as IPFS swarm key (used for encrypting communication within the swarm).
    Limit connectivity: Configure the nodes to limit their connectivity to only the trusted peers in the private network. This can be done by specifying a list of allowed peers or by using IPFS's private network options.
    Share files: Once the private network is set up, nodes within the network can share files and data among themselves, but this content will not be accessible to the public IPFS network.
    Some additional terms related to private IPFS networks include:

IPFS swarm key: A pre-shared key used to encrypt communication between nodes in a private IPFS network.
    IPFS private network: A configuration option in IPFS that allows you to specify a custom private network name or swarm key.
    IPFS relay nodes: Nodes that can act as intermediaries for communication between nodes that cannot establish a direct connection (useful in private networks behind NAT or firewalls).
    By setting up a private IPFS network, you can ensure that your files and data are only shared among trusted peers within your private network, providing an additional layer of security and privacy compared to the public IPFS network.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • Best privacy chat apps

Moved
    1 Votes
    130 Posts
    16k Views
    RazielKanosR

@jdaviescoates said in Best privacy chat apps:

@marcusquinn indeed. I'm now @jdaviescoates.01 on there 🙂

sending p0rn.....
    NOW!
    😄

• some good news finally..

6 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • Docker Image as working environment?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    timconsidineT

check out Kasm - rock solid with lots of environments, and their images can be used 'standalone' (I think)

• Valid alternatives to Webcatalog?

0 Votes
    24 Posts
    P

@humptydumpty They did an update that broken all apps... now they fixed, but they didn't give any feedback for about 24 hours.

• 4 Votes
    3 Posts
    P

@lucidfox Thank you very much, I will go and see the recommended apps immediately.

As for Missive, I have serious doubts about privacy and data management, furthermore it seems that there is confusion with pricing: they continue to increase prices, even for existing customers. Anyway, I'll go take a deeper look at it as soon as I can.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    andreasduerenA

@scooke said in Suggestions for back/storage/CDN app which generates thumbnails for EVERYTHING (including fonts)!:

@andreasdueren Interesting. I have since you posted this. Two things stand out as negatives. There doesn't seem to be a way to upload folders, and sadly I am not going to manually create folder after subfolder after subfolder! And two, from what I can tell, all the files I uploaded INTO folders I had made in the GUI still just end up in a single uploaded folder mess! Everything uploaded goes to the same place. Well, if I ever want to download the files from within the Docker container/image whatever, they are ALL scattered and intermixed. Too bad.

I haven't tried uploading a folder from the File Manager window, and then checked to see if the files and their folders appear in the Dashboard intact. Let me check... and they don't appear. There does appear to (maybe) upload files directly to folders already in the root folder using their API... but that is beyond me.

As a CDN this seems like a great solution, even a Cloudinary replacement. As a DAM, like FileRun, no. Thank you for pointing me in this direction, I think I will use it for my email newsletters!

Yes unfortunately file management is sub par

• 11 Votes
    62 Posts
    6k Views
    necrevistonnezrN

@jagan said in A list of Cloudron-like services/ competitors:

Please add Restack.

https://www.restack.io/

Wow, this is expensive…. Chatwoot alone is 40$ / month. Not many apps (most „coming soon“). And I don’t see an email stack, backup routines, or something like that…?

• Cloudfest 2024

2 Votes
    7 Posts
    BrutalBirdieB

@scooke only benefit would be that it could be tracked back to Cloudron as the inviter 🤷
    So nah, all good.

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    robiR

@LoudLemur said in Look at this lovely packer: Packery:

Even with @robi's suggestions, I still struggle to get it going.

If you're not a dev, it's not really something to use as it's a library for organizing how information is presented. It's not a standalone app, so it will be tedious at best for you.