Cloudron makes it easy to run web apps like WordPress, Nextcloud, GitLab on your server. Find out more or install now.

Skip to content

Off-topic

Anything else not related to Cloudron

248 Topics 2.0k Posts
  • Dealing with possible bots in the forums

1 Votes
    11 Posts
    nebulonN

Just came across this in that context https://mastodon.nebulon.de/@yassie_j@0w0.is/110917653668829228

• Hashicorp changes license - similar to MariaDB

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    P

Self Sabotage ☠️💀

• Bram Moolenaar has died

10 Votes
    5 Posts
    necrevistonnezrN

@LoudLemur said in Bram Moolenaar has died:

Thanks, I hope you are right but I with so many physicians discussing it, I worry it might be true.

Some random physicians „discussing“ something in a video is not evidence.

• 2 Votes
    3 Posts
    marcusquinnM

@privsec Make sure you're doing plugin unloading with something like FreeSoul, Asset Cleanup or Performer plugin, too. Save from having everything loaded on every page.

Might be some ideas in the reports output for the Cloudron app package config of headers and security policy etc, too @girish @nebulon

• 6 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • invalid Stored Block lengths

Locked Moved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    girishG

@Kura OK , this is not Pokemon forum... You are in the wrong place to post this.

• 4 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • Privacy: Portmaster (SPN) - anyone used it?

2 Votes
    12 Posts
    1k Views
    aessenA

I def think you have to strike a balance for sure but remember that the ease by which you access these services and sites is dependant on the sacrifice of one or more of your privacy, security or anonymity. You have to make that call for your own needs. What I will say is that the SPN provides the granular control you are looking for and I often hear people getting rid of Portmaster for the reasons you mention above. With SPN, I can set it so that Brave always opens with a connection in my home country but private windows in brave open in another. I have it set so that LibreWolf opens in the country I want to be streaming from and WaterFox is two hops obfuscated. The SPN then lets you determine the traffic even further. It’s worth diving into and maybe I should do a video l cause it is complex but their white paper does a good job explaining the architecture.

• Free 1TB with rsync.net

Moved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • Reddit strike

14 Votes
    23 Posts
    necrevistonnezrN

@Stardenver Just look at this (on reddit 😬) : https://www.reddit.com/r/RedditAlternatives/comments/149sm0n/beehaw_defederating_from_lemmyworld_and/
    If the admin of one instance decides to de-federate, you're suddenly cut off.

I'm enjoying my time on kbin.social and I genuinely support the idea of federation, but... This is honestly the only major issue I have with the Fediverse. Most of my Reddit/social media posts are related to three or so niche interests. My first Mastodon account was on the central hub for one interest that later defederated with the central hub for another interest. Not being able to interact with 1/3rd of the people I want to interact with just defeats the whole point of joining these kinds of platforms. Moderators just carving out a chunk of the Fediverse for their users is just unacceptable.

• 3 Votes
    2 Posts
    marcusquinnM

Don't know how popular or known their service is, but theoretically, Cloudron could replicate this as a feature for the Wordpress App.

What do you think @girish ? Feature Request?

Nice example of their app setup options, too:

21483223-47b0-405b-9c50-8ef660712f31-image.png

• 1 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • 11 Votes
    2 Posts
    V

Ja Prost dann!

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    timconsidineT

@LoudLemur said in Google's DeepMind (UK) releases latest AI PaLM 2:

https://you.com chat as a search engine

interesting link 👍

• 3 Votes
    5 Posts
    L

@robi It might not be advertised. Also, I think it isn't a sale, and the renewal price is the same, though I may be mistaken.

• Non-profit plans

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    F

@girish
    👍 Very nice! - Thank you for the info!
    Keep up the good work! ✌️
    cu soon!

• Favorite VPS providers?

1 Votes
    39 Posts
    1k Views
    M

I use BuyVM and Hetzner. I've used Digital Ocean in the past.

I use BuyVM for cheap storage that is not all that slow. It's hybrid storage, so it's about $5/TB, and it gets a speed of about 300 MB/sec (only slightly difficult thing is that you have to learn to auto-mount the storage, but this isn't terribly difficult). This is definitely enough speed for a small to medium email server. They are slightly less reliable than the other options (about once every 2-3 months, I have the box go down for an hour or so, and have to restart the server), but they have better support than the rest (you can actually talk to the person who runs the business), so it balances out.

I use Hetzner for NextCloud, because it demands a much higher storage speed in order to feel really 'snappy'. Their SSDs reach about 1600 MB/sec, so it's quite a bit faster, but also more expensive (basically $50/TB). Also, for some reason, I found that even after asking them to enable email, that their servers throttle POP and IMAP responses a lot. I don't suggest running email on them unless you are doing webmail. Their VPSs are very reliable though. Have not tried their full servers.

Digital Ocean is just pretty standard. Slightly expensive and very reliable, so their boxes do the trick if you don't need space.

Also... I forgot to mention this... but thank you Cloudron Team for putting in a 'Disk Speed' option into the Cloudron System UI. It's the best! 😄

• Akamai to acquire linode

2 Votes
    9 Posts
    L

@jdaviescoates I am glad of that! I think it must have been some story relating to the Dutch farmers who are struggling with their government at the moment and having tractor demonstrations. Anyway, it is good fun to grow some food in the garden!

• 2 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • 4 Votes
    7 Posts
    jegillikin 0J

@marcusquinn said in Discord - Where did people go wrong?:

@jegillikin-0 I think AI will bring more people into the terminal. I was recently looking at Twitter CLI projects, and already finding AI Shell rather useful for improving command line understanding.

Hahaha, I have seen the future and it's Emacs.