Cloudron makes it easy to run web apps like WordPress, Nextcloud, GitLab on your server. Find out more or install now.


Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Bookmarks
  • Search
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

Cloudron Forum

Offical apps | Community apps | Demo | Docs | Install
  1. Cloudron Forum
  2. Discuss
  3. Cloudron Disk Speed - Optimum?

Cloudron Disk Speed - Optimum?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Discuss
cloudrondiskspeed
24 Posts 9 Posters 12.3k Views 9 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • girishG girish

    My home server πŸ˜‰

    image.png

    L
    L
    LoudLemur
    wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @girish said in Cloudron Disk Speed - Optimum?:

    My home server πŸ˜‰

    image.png

    I want this! πŸ™‚

    L 1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • nebulonN
      nebulonN
      nebulon
      Staff
      wrote on last edited by
      #9

      indeed, my nvme only clocks in at around 500 MB/sec on my homeserver.

      humptyH 1 Reply Last reply
      1
      • L LoudLemur

        @girish said in Cloudron Disk Speed - Optimum?:

        My home server πŸ˜‰

        image.png

        I want this! πŸ™‚

        L
        L
        lukas
        wrote on last edited by
        #10

        @LoudLemur then you need a NVMe Disk πŸ™‚

        1 Reply Last reply
        1
        • nebulonN nebulon

          indeed, my nvme only clocks in at around 500 MB/sec on my homeserver.

          humptyH
          humptyH
          humpty
          wrote on last edited by
          #11

          @nebulon me too! Any idea why it’s being limited?

          girishG 1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • jdaviescoatesJ
            jdaviescoatesJ
            jdaviescoates
            wrote on last edited by
            #12

            A Netcup VPS

            image.png

            A Hetzner VPS

            image.png

            Yet another reason for me to do my planned "moved all my VPS servers onto a dedicated Hetzner box"

            I use Cloudron with Gandi & Hetzner

            L 1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • humptyH humpty

              @nebulon me too! Any idea why it’s being limited?

              girishG
              girishG
              girish
              Staff
              wrote on last edited by girish
              #13

              @humptydumpty said in Cloudron Disk Speed - Optimum?:

              @nebulon me too! Any idea why it’s being limited?

              Don't understand your question here but are you asking why disk speed is lower ? What's being reported is the speed as reported by the kernel and hardware.

              humptyH 1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • jdaviescoatesJ jdaviescoates

                A Netcup VPS

                image.png

                A Hetzner VPS

                image.png

                Yet another reason for me to do my planned "moved all my VPS servers onto a dedicated Hetzner box"

                L
                L
                LoudLemur
                wrote on last edited by
                #14

                @jdaviescoates said in Cloudron Disk Speed - Optimum?:

                A Netcup VPS

                image.png

                A Hetzner VPS

                image.png

                Yet another reason for me to do my planned "moved all my VPS servers onto a dedicated Hetzner box"

                When you are using these two together, do you notice the difference in responsiveness much? That is a big difference but maybe the increased performance is not very noticeable.

                jdaviescoatesJ 1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • L LoudLemur

                  @jdaviescoates said in Cloudron Disk Speed - Optimum?:

                  A Netcup VPS

                  image.png

                  A Hetzner VPS

                  image.png

                  Yet another reason for me to do my planned "moved all my VPS servers onto a dedicated Hetzner box"

                  When you are using these two together, do you notice the difference in responsiveness much? That is a big difference but maybe the increased performance is not very noticeable.

                  jdaviescoatesJ
                  jdaviescoatesJ
                  jdaviescoates
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #15

                  @LoudLemur said in Cloudron Disk Speed - Optimum?:

                  When you are using these two together, do you notice the difference in responsiveness much? That is a big difference but maybe the increased performance is not very noticeable.

                  I haven't really tested to be honest. But the one with a slower disk has lots more RAM so would be hard to compare.

                  I use Cloudron with Gandi & Hetzner

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • girishG girish

                    @humptydumpty said in Cloudron Disk Speed - Optimum?:

                    @nebulon me too! Any idea why it’s being limited?

                    Don't understand your question here but are you asking why disk speed is lower ? What's being reported is the speed as reported by the kernel and hardware.

                    humptyH
                    humptyH
                    humpty
                    wrote on last edited by humpty
                    #16

                    @girish Nebulon's NVME speed is around 500 MB/s only, but that's SSD speeds. I'm getting the same NVME speeds on my Cloudron home server. I was using this server as a regular Windows PC before I repurposed it, and I was getting full NVME speeds, so I know it's not a hardware issue. Also, that's the speed (~450 MB/s) I get on my Contabo VPS even though I migrated to an NVME plan. It doesn't make sense.

                    nebulonN 1 Reply Last reply
                    1
                    • humptyH humpty

                      @girish Nebulon's NVME speed is around 500 MB/s only, but that's SSD speeds. I'm getting the same NVME speeds on my Cloudron home server. I was using this server as a regular Windows PC before I repurposed it, and I was getting full NVME speeds, so I know it's not a hardware issue. Also, that's the speed (~450 MB/s) I get on my Contabo VPS even though I migrated to an NVME plan. It doesn't make sense.

                      nebulonN
                      nebulonN
                      nebulon
                      Staff
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #17

                      @humptydumpty hm that makes me wonder if there are some kernel/bios/device features one needs to set on linux to enable that?

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      1
                      • ?
                        ?
                        A Former User
                        wrote on last edited by [[global:former-user]]
                        #18

                        I just moved my Cloudron to Contabo VPS S with NVMe. It shows nearly 70 MB/sec on my cloudron disk usage report. This does not feel like NVMe speed at all. It's a fresh install. What should I do?

                        • A - run a script on the server to determine the true speed (edit: i ran curl -sL yabs.sh | bash screenshot of results see below)
                        • B - trust this number and complain at contabo customer service
                        • C - accept it as I ordered a cheap VPS πŸ™‚
                        • D - installed apps slow down the disk (2x Ghost, Mealie, Surfer, typebot, umami)
                        • E - else

                        Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 17.54.09.png

                        Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 18.14.14.png

                        jdaviescoatesJ humptyH ? 3 Replies Last reply
                        0
                        • ? A Former User

                          I just moved my Cloudron to Contabo VPS S with NVMe. It shows nearly 70 MB/sec on my cloudron disk usage report. This does not feel like NVMe speed at all. It's a fresh install. What should I do?

                          • A - run a script on the server to determine the true speed (edit: i ran curl -sL yabs.sh | bash screenshot of results see below)
                          • B - trust this number and complain at contabo customer service
                          • C - accept it as I ordered a cheap VPS πŸ™‚
                          • D - installed apps slow down the disk (2x Ghost, Mealie, Surfer, typebot, umami)
                          • E - else

                          Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 17.54.09.png

                          Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 18.14.14.png

                          jdaviescoatesJ
                          jdaviescoatesJ
                          jdaviescoates
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #19

                          @erikscholz I've never tried a Contabo VPS, but:

                          @jdaviescoates said in Favorite VPS providers?:

                          @sentinel65 said in Favorite VPS providers?:

                          +1 for Contabo. UI/UX is archaic but it does the job and it does it well.

                          I've only tried them for the Object Storage but quickly regretted that as they don't even support virtual host style URLs, only path style, see:

                          https://docs.contabo.com/docs/products/Object-Storage/technical-description/

                          (and this post)

                          Also, just for reference, my 3 current Hetzner Could VPS speeds:

                          CPX11:

                          81c01873-5a74-4314-b81f-6a36f8b579bd-image.png

                          CX31:

                          9ff6a842-271c-475a-ab33-107cfd487e16-image.png

                          CPX31:

                          d73ae95a-1b9b-445d-8e0d-5f2c0397be8b-image.png

                          And for the record my Hetzner Dedicated Server:

                          AX41-NVMe:

                          91b9c610-ea72-4fc7-88d1-caa05542060e-image.png

                          I use Cloudron with Gandi & Hetzner

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          1
                          • robiR
                            robiR
                            robi
                            wrote on last edited by robi
                            #20

                            It sounds like it's very oversubscribed or abused by other instances shared on that host.

                            You can call support and request to be moved to a host with more IO available.

                            Cool bench script btw (yabs.sh)

                            Frequency tech

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            2
                            • timconsidineT
                              timconsidineT
                              timconsidine
                              App Dev
                              wrote on last edited by
                              #21

                              @erikscholz
                              Just guessing but I doubt (D) is the problem/solution
                              Always worth trying (B)
                              Failing which (C) if or while you are in contract, then find a better one

                              Indie app dev, scratching my itches : communityapps.appx.uk, portfolio at myca.appx.uk

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              2
                              • girishG
                                girishG
                                girish
                                Staff
                                wrote on last edited by
                                #22

                                We use hdparm for this info. hdparm -Tt /dev/sda for example. I would complain to your VPS provider, since the speed is very low.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                1
                                • ? A Former User

                                  I just moved my Cloudron to Contabo VPS S with NVMe. It shows nearly 70 MB/sec on my cloudron disk usage report. This does not feel like NVMe speed at all. It's a fresh install. What should I do?

                                  • A - run a script on the server to determine the true speed (edit: i ran curl -sL yabs.sh | bash screenshot of results see below)
                                  • B - trust this number and complain at contabo customer service
                                  • C - accept it as I ordered a cheap VPS πŸ™‚
                                  • D - installed apps slow down the disk (2x Ghost, Mealie, Surfer, typebot, umami)
                                  • E - else

                                  Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 17.54.09.png

                                  Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 18.14.14.png

                                  humptyH
                                  humptyH
                                  humpty
                                  wrote on last edited by
                                  #23

                                  @erikscholz I'm on Contabo's VPS L NVME plan + Extra Storage Module. I ran hdparm -Tt /dev/sda3 and got the following:

                                  /dev/sda3:
                                   Timing cached reads:   12836 MB in  2.00 seconds = 6425.92 MB/sec
                                   Timing buffered disk reads: 798 MB in  3.00 seconds = 265.97 MB/sec
                                  
                                  

                                  I did: C, B, C, B (useless CS), C, C, C...

                                  In my Cloudron > System Info > I get two different speeds for /sda3 and /sda2 (boot) partitions, 312 MB/s vs. 1088 MB/s, respectively. Again, I'll just go with C and move on with my life 🀷

                                  304d9ece-d04c-49ae-adcd-e0d6fc1f425d-image.png

                                  5aa4ecb2-5bcc-47cc-9967-408a2c97c91e-image.png

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  2
                                  • ? A Former User

                                    I just moved my Cloudron to Contabo VPS S with NVMe. It shows nearly 70 MB/sec on my cloudron disk usage report. This does not feel like NVMe speed at all. It's a fresh install. What should I do?

                                    • A - run a script on the server to determine the true speed (edit: i ran curl -sL yabs.sh | bash screenshot of results see below)
                                    • B - trust this number and complain at contabo customer service
                                    • C - accept it as I ordered a cheap VPS πŸ™‚
                                    • D - installed apps slow down the disk (2x Ghost, Mealie, Surfer, typebot, umami)
                                    • E - else

                                    Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 17.54.09.png

                                    Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 18.14.14.png

                                    ?
                                    ?
                                    A Former User
                                    wrote on last edited by
                                    #24

                                    Thanks for the input y'all. I did some further testing and found out something strange. When I change the CPU resources for each app, and it doesn't matter if I increase or decrease the resources and then checking the disk speed again it went up. Also wenn I stress test my website (did that with the siege command line tool) the disk speeds went up. Seems like Contabo does allocate resources when there is stress on the system and decrease resources when it's idling? So I could reach speeds of around 300 MB/s to 1 GB/s on SDA3. Same with SDA2.

                                    I think I'll ignore the numbers for now as I don't feel there are real world problems on the VPS. And I guess if I really need to upscale performance for whatever reason I might switch to Hetzner or something else.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    1
                                    • humptyH humpty referenced this topic on

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                    Register Login
                                    Reply
                                    • Reply as topic
                                    Log in to reply
                                    • Oldest to Newest
                                    • Newest to Oldest
                                    • Most Votes


                                    • Login

                                    • Don't have an account? Register

                                    • Login or register to search.
                                    • First post
                                      Last post
                                    0
                                    • Categories
                                    • Recent
                                    • Tags
                                    • Popular
                                    • Bookmarks
                                    • Search