Upcoming apps

• For the coming weeks, we are going to focus on getting some new apps packaged. The list is:

• OnlyOffice
    • Bitwarden - @Felix and @iamthefij have done much of the heavy lifting, we just have to get it across the line.
    • OpenVPN - We will add an admin interface that let's the admins configure some popular vpn settings.
    • BigBlueButton or Jitsi (we will evaluate which works well for conferencing. We have used both and they both work well but BBB might win). If you have any thoughts here, please leave a comment.
    • Development apps - basically provide a git push workflow for hosting custom nodejs/php apps (and make it work so that they can be mixed with various caches and databases).

If we should prioritize something else, please let us know! But the above should keep us occupied this month.

• Fulltext Search for Nextcloud would be awesome!

• Great news, a videoconference app was missing for quite some time now. I was trying to pack jitsi meet, but there were too many obstacles (wasn't working with the slim image for starters) so I gave up eventually. Never heard of BBB, but looks nice, especially the recording feature. Jitsi would be neat because of the remote desktop feature, but I guess we can't have it all 😉

• @girish said in Upcoming apps:

BigBlueButton or Jitsi (we will evaluate which works well for conferencing. We have used both and they both work well but BBB might win). If you have any thoughts here, please leave a comment.

I would throw in another contender: https://meet-app.io

This is currently a few binaries/containers, but if there is interest we could compile it into a single executable which would make it easy to deploy it in a cloudron app container.

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• I would recommend to post suggestions for new apps at the app-wishlist. This thread is just to announce what comes next. 🙂

• Good to hear about these coming apps! I'm especially interested in Jitsi, since its inclusion means it can be integrated as a self-hosted version in a Matrix/Riot environment (Riot group calls is based on Jitsi).

• It would be absolutely great and a unique selling point if you could integrate (optionally for those who don't want it) PiHole into OpenVPN. It would be a most safe and convenient solution.

• This is a really a mouthwatering list of apps. 🙂

Only suggestion I have for consideration would be improving how apps are organized on dashboard. (See: https://forum.cloudron.io/topic/1842/curious-how-other-cloudron-users-organize-their-apps)

• The OpenVPN app is now fixed up. You can add custom settings by editing /app/data/openvpn.conf. Docs are at https://cloudron.io/documentation/apps/openvpn/#customizations. We didn't build an admin UI as such but maybe we will put in the effort some other time.

• Rocketchat group calls are also using Jitsi, so including that would be a big plus for us.

• Rocket.Chat can also integrate with BBB - frankly, I could care less which it is as long as it works better than the freebie jit.si we're trying to use now. I get terrible feedback on that, and hopefully bringing that "in-house" allows for a better experience. That said, I might actually have developed a slight preference toward BBB just because it has more integration points for various LMS as well, both WP plugins that would be useful now and freestanding apps which could be useful in the future.